Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving Files to VM
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving Files to VM Post 302710567 by Newer on Thursday 4th of October 2012 02:48:27 PM
Old 10-04-2012
Guys, what i really need it's copy a directory from a remote host to my virtual machine, but i would like to do that using commands no tools. Could you please help me?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving only files...

hi.. I want to move a set of files that contain a particular string. I wished to do that with find but i am unable to do that. can anybody give me a good method? :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files ??

I am using AIX Version 5.1 If I moved a file say using this command but the directory rpt did not exist would this dump the file? I went back to the directory I was moving it from and the file was gone and when I looked in the directory I moved it to of course that directory was not found.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files

Hi There, I am trying to move files, the file is present in this location: /iAm4Free/test/generate/txt/information.txt I need to move it to: /iAm4Free/test1/generate/txt/information.txt The only difference is the "test" is replaced with "test1". But the constraint is. The parent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files

I wrote a script which moves files on first in first out basis. for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -10 | awk '{print $9}'` do mv $i Test/ done But donno some reason, this is not working on my Linux box. May i know the reason? Can the above script be done by using positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files

Hi I need to be able to move files from one central locations to different servers on our network. So i want all of our operators to place files to one area on the main storage area. From there i need a script that first checks the file is stable (finished copying) then copy to another server,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files..

Selected directories on our system generate alerts when they exceed 60% of the disk space so I have used gzip to make the files smaller on one of the directories in question (AdminServer logs). I want to move these to another directory what is the best way to make this happen? Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosuchluck
4 Replies

10. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)