Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to pattern match within a particular multiline block and take action Post 302709931 by Lem on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 06:21:21 PM
Old 10-03-2012
With sed, try this:
Code:
sed -n '/^$/b blk;H;$b blk;b;:blk;x;s/\n//;/PATTERN/!P' <file

--
Bye
This User Gave Thanks to Lem For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match a multiline pattern

Hello! i wanna match in a config file, one text with more than one lines, something like this: CACHE_SIZE{ 10000 M } I have problems with the ends of line, i think that i can match the end of the line with \n, but i can't get it Someone can help me with the regular expression? ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: claw82
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete block of lines when pattern does not match

I have this input file that I need to remove lines which represents more than 30 days of processing. Input file: On 11/17/2009 at 12:30:00, Program started processing...argc=7 Total number of bytes in file being processed is 390 Message buffer of length=390 was allocated successfully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern match problem

Hi all, hoping this is a simple one, tried looking but just can't see the solution As an example I've got a list of words that all start Ben..... Bendicks Benefiber Ben Benylin I need to only change the line Ben with Ben 10, ignoring the other lines. I tried the following ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match a pattern starting with sub-pattern using sed

Hi all, I've been experiencing a difficulty trying to match a number and write it to a new file. My input file is: input.txt It contains the lines: 103P 123587.256971 3.21472112 3.1517423 1.05897234566427 58.2146258 12.35478 25.3612489 What would be the sed command to... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biederman
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Pattern Match

Hi, I would like to use SED to do the following string replacement: asd1abc to www1cda asd2abc to www2cda ... asd9abc to www9cda I can use 'asd.abc' to find the orignal string, however I don't know how to generate the target string. Any suggestion? Thanks, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail4mz
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed multiline pattern match

How can I write a script that takes a cisco config file and outputs every occurrence of two, or more, pattern matches through the whole config file? For example, out of a config file, i want to print out every line with interface, description and ip address through the whole file, and disregard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knownasthatguy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : match one pattern then the next consecutive second pattern not working

Ive used this snippet of code on a solaris box thousands of times. But it isnt working on the new linux box sed -n '/interface LoopBack0/{N;/ ip address /p;}' *.conf its driving me nuts !! Is there something Im missing ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match with awk/sed - help

I need to grep for the pattern text inside the square brackets which are in red and not in green..my current code greps patterns both of them, which i don't want Input fileref|XP_002371341.1| oxoacyl-ACP reductase, putative gb|EPT24759.1| 3-ketoacyl-(acyl-carrier-protein) reductase ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get range out using sed or awk, only if given pattern match

Input: START OS:: UNIX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: LINUX Release: xxx Version: xxx END START OS:: Windows Release: xxx Version: xxx ENDHere i am trying to get all the information between START and END, only if i could match OS Type. I can get all the data between the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharmaraja
3 Replies
MatchEditor(3I) 					    InterViews Reference Manual 					   MatchEditor(3I)

NAME
MatchEditor - StringEditor with pattern matching SYNOPSIS
#include <InterViews/matcheditor.h> DESCRIPTION
MatchEditor is a StringEditor subclass that checks the validity of its contents against a specified pattern. It is suitable for entering strings that must conform to a particular format such as a number or a file name. The matching pattern is specified according to the rules of scanf(3). For example, a pattern of "%3d" will match a 3-digit integer, a pattern of "%[ab]" will match a string containing only a's and b's, and a pattern of "(%f, %f)" will match the string "(12.0, 5E23)". PUBLIC OPERATIONS
MatchEditor(ButtonState*, const char* sample, const char* done) Create a new MatchEditor object. The ButtonState, sample string, and termination string are passed to the StringEditor constructor. void Match(const char* pattern, boolean keystroke = true) Specify the pattern to match against. When MatchEditor performs matching, it will highlight any trailing part of the edit string that does not conform to pattern. The user can then correct the string. If keystroke is true, matching will occur on every key- stroke; otherwise matching will only occur on the completion of the edit. The initial pattern matches any string, and the initial value of keystroke is true. RESTRICTIONS
MatchEditor uses sscanf internally to check the pattern match. Different versions of sscanf have different scanning capabilities; check with your local version to see what patterns you can use. SEE ALSO
StringEditor(3I) InterViews 7 Dec 1989 MatchEditor(3I)