Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single or double square brackets Post 302708553 by jim mcnamara on Monday 1st of October 2012 06:14:38 PM
Old 10-01-2012
in bash try:
Code:
type [
type [[

They are both part of the shell: [ is a keyword like if, while, etc.: [[ is a shell builtin but still is treated a a word.

"word" is key here, because words are set off from each other by spaces or new lines.
[, ], [[, and ]] have to be set off from from other words by spaces or new lines.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why put double square brackets in an if clause?

what is the rationale behind putting double square brackets in an if clause? for e.g. if ] || ] || ]; then echo some fields are null fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: napolayan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

brackets vs parentheses - single and double

hi, unix gurus. i am wondering if someone can give me a clear explanation of the differneces between parentheses and brackets, both single and double. i have heard that double parentheses (( are used for numerical expressions and that single brackets [ are used for strings. but i see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of double square brackets in ksh

Hi First apologies if this has been raised before. I've got the following in a ksh script: if ] For some reason this does not work. But if I remove the double square brackets to: if This works. I thought ksh supported the ]. Or is there more to it? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double square brackets question

Hi, I just came across an interesting shell script syntax like the one below: ] && (trap 'rm -rf ${WORK_DIR}/*.$$; echo "\n\nInterrupted !!\n\n"; exit 4' 1 2 3 15) Can someone please explain the code snippet above? The trap command bit is fine but ] && is the hazy part. Generally we use an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the value in between square brackets in file

I wanted to compare the value inside the Squre bracket after Colon ( : ) based on any value(seperated by or operator | ) inside the variable Thread and if match found then wnated to store in output file Input file : 20140320 00:08:43.918 INO 35] - Corporate hub is 20140320 00:08:43.918... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep number between Square [] brackets

I wanted to store the number inside the square bracket between colon( : ) and closing suqre bracket(]) in some variable. Suppose I have lines like : Input file : 20140320 00:08:23.846 INFO 84] - anything in line 20140320 00:08:23.846 Test 589] - Virtual and lab lab anything... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies
csqrt(3M)						  Mathematical Library Functions						 csqrt(3M)

NAME
csqrt, csqrtf, csqrtl - complex square root functions SYNOPSIS
c99 [ flag... ] file... -lm [ library... ] #include <complex.h> double complex csqrt(double complex z); float complex csqrtf(float complex z); long double complex csqrtl(long double complex z); DESCRIPTION
These functions compute the complex square root of z, with a branch cut along the negative real axis. RETURN VALUES
These functions return the complex square root value, in the range of the right half-plane (including the imaginary axis). ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cabs(3M), complex.h(3HEAD), cpow(3M), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 2006 csqrt(3M)