Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert output from a file to beginning of line with sed Post 302708365 by diesel88 on Monday 1st of October 2012 12:49:35 PM
Old 10-01-2012
Thank you everyone for the help.

I'm one step closer to finishing the script.

---------- Post updated at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:05 AM ----------

Actually sorry, I spoke too soon. I should have explained a little more clear

My source file is more like this
Code:
Time, 9/1/11, 9/2/11 .. 9/30/11
0:00, 1033, 1031, .. 1035
0:10, 1044, 1045, .. 1046
23:50, 1050, 1051, .. 1052

How do I make it so the file will be like this?
Code:
9/1/11, 0:00, 1033
9/1/11, 0:10, 1044
9/1/11, 23:50, 1050
9/2/11, 0:00, 1031
9/2/11, 0:10, 1045
9/2/11, 23:50 1052
9/30/11, 00:00, 1050
9/30/11, 00:10, 1045
9/30/11, 23:50, 1052

I tried doing something like this,
Code:
i=0
while [ $i -lt ${#TRACK[*]} ]
 do

for n in {2..144}
   do
    cat $WORKING/${TRACK[i]}.csv |awk -F ',' '{print$1 "," $'$n'}' > tmp00
    awk -F "," 'NR==1{x=$'$n';next} {sub("^",x",")}1' tmp00 
  done

i=$(( $i + 1 ))
done

I'm getting good results with the first date (sept 1, 11), however once it's sept 2, 11, I get only a blank at the front of the line.
e.g.,
Code:
09/01/11,23:20,1551
09/01/11,23:30,1556
09/01/11,23:40,1506
09/01/11,23:50,1480
,0:00,1455
,0:10,1401
,0:20,1382
,0:30,1309

How do I get the $n variable into awk -F "," 'NR==1{x=$'$n';next} {sub("^",x",")}1' properly?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

---------- Post updated at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:18 AM ----------

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-02-2012 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output into file at line number

I need to insert the output of a script into a specific line number of a txt file. I've read the Sed man page and searched the forums and it's not immediately clear how I would go about doing this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pluto7777
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert shell command into first line of output file

How can I insert the command executed on the shell into the first line of my output file? For example if I execute; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out How can I make my users.out look like; zcat *.gz |grep “User5501” > users.out User5501 PA User5501 UA User5501 ZA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - insert space at the beginning of line and multi replace command

hi I am trying to use SED to replace the line matching a pattern using the command sed 'pattern c\ new line ' <file1 >file 2 I got two questions 1. how do I insert a blank space at the beginning of new line? 2. how do I use this command to execute multiple command using the -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert new line does not update file

Hi all, I have a file called "text.cpp" with the first line of "1" afterwards I tried in Ubuntu to type the following sed '12iasdasdasdasdsad' test.cpp > output.txt however when I tried to see the result of output.txt #cat output.txt 1 why is the line 12 is not updated to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peuceul
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to Insert a line before the last four lines of the file

By using sed command, How to insert a new line before the last four lines of the file. Old Line Old Line NEW LINE! Old Line Old Line Old Line Old Line (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at the beginning of every even number line

i am trying to insert text at the beginning of every even number line with awk i can do it with odd number lines with this command awk 'NR%2{$0="some text "$0}1' filehow can i edit this command thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert the line number from text file to filename output

Hi everyone :) I have a file "words.txt" containing hundreds of lines of text. Each line contains a slogan. Using the code below i am able to generate an image with the slogan text from each line. The image filename is saved matching the last word on each line. Example: Line 1: We do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)