Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Need help with a Perl Script using Pop, Shift, & Push Post 302707347 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of September 2012 11:37:12 AM
Old 09-28-2012
You already know how a for-loop works, it seems; the top 5 would just be another loop, from 0 to 5.

As for shuffling the cards, how does one usually shuffle a deck? Split it in half, then combine them randomly. I might try popping each card from the deck individually and putting them in either array A or B. Then looping until array A and B are both empty, popping a card from either A or B each loop and pushing it back into the original array. You could randomly choose which array you pick from.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift and push question in perl

hi, another perl question, I don't understand the below while (<FILE>) { push @last5, $_; #add to the end shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 ; #take from the beginning } can someone please explain to me how does shift @last5 if @last5 > 5 is taking last 5 lines from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace password perl script

I wanted a perl script to be done for Password search & replace in two files. For Example: Example 1)--i am having a file such as cat /opt/customer/Ariba/UAT/ariba/app/buyer/Server/config/Parameters.table Example 2)--and i am having a other file in other location such as cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscript22
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - if conditions is meet, push the last field of $_ into an array

I am using a seed file shown below to separate cisco devices by ios/os type. I want to bunch all the devices based on ios/os version. Once I find a match, I only want to push the ip address into the appropriate array. Example of seedfile 8 host1 (C3500XL-C3H2S-M) 11.0(5)WC17 10.1.44.21 9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shift Question (Perl)

I am attempting to write a script that reads each line of a file into a separate array and does some work on it then puts it all back together and I think I need to use the 'shift()' command to read each line into its own array, but I need help nesting it into a while loop (while not eof) So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifeatu
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL, push to hash of array problem

$key = "a"; $value = "hello"; %myhash = {} ; push @{ myHash{$key} }, $hello; print $myHash{$key}."\n"; this script prints "hello" but has following error message. Reference found where even-sized list expected at ./test line 5. can any one help me to fix this problem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

push and pop directories and subdirectories

I need to use pushd and popd to navigate all of the subdirectories in my current directory. I know how to get into each subdirectory, add it to the stack, and pop back out, but i cant figure out how to get into subdirectories deeper than the first without adding a foreach and if statement for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ollie88r
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a push script from NIS

Hi guys, can we get a pushed script for every NIS client like a policy.? I need to set a symbolic links for for every client. Thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pianz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on a script to push files once a day

Hello! Please I need some help on writing a script to push files from one server to the other once a day, everyday. I know that I can use this script on a crontab to send the files , but I am not sure how to start writing it, the actual script. I could start by declaring some variables: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Web Development

Pop up confirmation box / perl cgi

Hi, I need to add confirmation pop up msg box before deleting the record from database, I have added following snippets to my code but its not working for me, your help will be much appreciated : print header; print <<EOF; <script type="text/javascript"> function confirmOk() { return... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Push Files

Hey Guys, Thanks for always being helpful, I have another issue that I need a little insight on how to fix. See the below script I have and the error I get. I don't understand why it does that, am I not using the continue correctly? #!/bin/bash -x # @(#) File: filepush.sh #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies