Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris syslog is not getting written Post 302707179 by nikhil kasar on Friday 28th of September 2012 06:10:29 AM
Old 09-28-2012
hi RudiC
by using find command i got the syslog.conf file

# cat /etc/syslog.conf
#ident "@(#)syslog.conf 1.5 98/12/14 SMI" /* SunOS 5.0 */
#
# Copyright (c) 1991-1998 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
# syslog configuration file.
#
# This file is processed by m4 so be careful to quote (`') names
# that match m4 reserved words. Also, within ifdef's, arguments
# containing commas must be quoted.
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;kern.err;daemon.err;*.alert;*.emerg;mail.debug;auth.notice; user.err;user.alert @10.72.15.75
*.err;kern.notice;auth.notice /dev/sysmsg
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/adm/messages, @loghost)

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err operator
*.alert root

*.emerg *

# if a non-loghost machine chooses to have authentication messages
# sent to the loghost machine, un-comment out the following line:
auth.notice ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/authlog, @loghost)

mail.debug ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)

#
# non-loghost machines will use the following lines to cause "user"
# log messages to be logged locally.
#
ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
user.err /dev/sysmsg
user.err /var/adm/messages
user.alert `root, operator'
user.emerg *
auth.info /var/log/authlog
)
i don't no why it was coming earlier.
there are no zones in server so we are not using the lofs command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File being used/written

Hello, Which command in unix can tell whether a file is being used/written by another process. e.g. If one process is copying a very big file in some directory and there is another cronjob process which checks for a new file and in this directory and process the file. I want to check, if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking a file is not being written to

Hello All I am attempting to write a shell script (bourne shell script) which will copy a tar'd and compressed file from a directory to a staging area but will not know whether the file is still open for write since files are being ftp's to my site at random times during the day. Once I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanejm
14 Replies

3. Linux

check written data

I'm using growisofs to write DVD, e.g. $ growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -V "Personal Data, `date +"%b, %d %Y"`" -R -J /mnt/d/* How can I test whether data was written correctly? md5sum or so? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what's the largest shell script you've ever written?

I've just written a test harness using ksh. One of scripts weighed in at 1206 lines. I came across Eric Raymonds 'Art of Unix programming' on line and he advises against excessively large scripts. I am very interested to hear people's opinions on this and any experiences they have had. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OFFSIHR
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hangman written in Bash. Suggestions please...

qwertyuiop (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

written a srcipt with 2 arguments

hello all pls can anybody point me a direction of capturing 2 arguments: one a line of text the other is a file. In paticular how can i get the file so for exampls, i create a script called monalisa monalisa this is an angel from the 7th heaven booboo where monalisa is the script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam4now
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

An algorithm to be written in linux command

Hi All, I wrote the following script in R. However, i can not run it. Because the data file is so big. Therefore, i need to write it in shell script. Could you please help me? ###################################### data=as.matrix(read.table("data.txt"))... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
3 Replies

8. Programming

book on linux application written with c

Just learned c language ,but I don't know where to start to write some applications under Linux ,I really appreciate it if anybody can help me find some books or sites on it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgdcjq
2 Replies

9. Programming

Debugging a program written in two languages

Subject: Debugging a program written in two languages Platform: Linux (Kubuntu) I am trying to debug a C application with bindings to some simple functions written in Ada using the GNAT Programming Studio IDE (GPS). The main entry point is in C. The debugger is gdb. I managed to compile... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NiGHTS
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How many packets can be written into Kernel sockets per second?

Hi, Its been a long time since i programmed a multithreaded application that can do Tx and Rx of datagrams over unix sockets. I well remember that though the threads were efficiently designed to be independent of each other, and was writing to different sockets, there was a limitation ,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyjeshan
0 Replies
SYSLOG.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    SYSLOG.CONF(5)

NAME
syslog.conf -- configuration file for syslogd(8) DESCRIPTION
The syslog.conf file is the configuration file for the syslogd(8) program. It consists of lines with two fields: the selector field which specifies the types of messages and priorities to which the line applies, and an action field which specifies the action to be taken if a message syslogd receives matches the selection criteria. The selector field is separated from the action field by one or more tab or space characters. A rule can be splitted in several lines if all lines except the last are terminated with a backslash (``''). The Selectors function are encoded as a facility, a period (``.''), and a level, with no intervening white-space. Both the facility and the level are case insensitive. The facility describes the part of the system generating the message, and is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv, cron, daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7. These keywords (with the exception of mark) correspond to the similar ``LOG_'' values specified to the openlog(3) and syslog(3) library routines. The level describes the severity of the message, and is a keyword from the following ordered list (higher to lower): emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice and debug. These keywords correspond to the similar (LOG_) values specified to the syslog library routine. See syslog(3) for a further descriptions of both the facility and level keywords and their significance. If a received message matches the specified facility and is of the specified level (or a higher level), the action specified in the action field will be taken. Multiple selectors may be specified for a single action by separating them with semicolon (``;'') characters. It is important to note, how- ever, that each selector can modify the ones preceding it. Multiple facilities may be specified for a single level by separating them with comma (``,'') characters. An asterisk (``*'') can be used to specify all facilities or all levels. By default, a level applies to all messages with the same or higher level. The equal (``='') character can be prepended to a level to restrict this line of the configuration file to messages with the very same level. An exclamation mark (``!'') prepended to a level or the asterisk means that this line of the configuration file does not apply to the speci- fied level (and higher ones). In conjunction with the equal sign, you can exclude single levels as well. The special facility ``mark'' receives a message at priority ``info'' every 20 minutes (see syslogd(8)). This is not enabled by a facility field containing an asterisk. The special level ``none'' disables a particular facility. The action field of each line specifies the action to be taken when the selector field selects a message. There are five forms: o A pathname (beginning with a leading slash). Selected messages are appended to the file. You may prepend a minus (``-'') to the path to omit syncing the file after each message log. This can cause data loss at system crashes, but increases performance for programs which use logging extensively. o A named pipe (fifo), beginning with a vertical bar (``|'') followed by a pathname. The pipe must be created with mkfifo(8) before syslogd reads its configuration file. This feature is especially useful fo debugging. o A hostname (preceded by an at (``@'') sign). Selected messages are forwarded to the syslogd program on the named host. o A comma separated list of users. Selected messages are written to those users if they are logged in. o An asterisk. Selected messages are written to all logged-in users. Blank lines and lines whose first non-blank character is a hash (``#'') character are ignored. EXAMPLES
A configuration file might appear as follows: # Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of # level notice or higher and anything of level err or # higher to the console. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none /dev/console # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher. # Don't log private authentication messages! *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none /var/log/messages # The authpriv file has restricted access. authpriv.* /var/log/secure # Log all the mail messages in one place. mail.* /var/log/maillog # Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another # machine. *.emerg * *.emerg @arpa.berkeley.edu # Root and Eric get alert and higher messages. *.alert root,eric # Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a # special file. uucp,news.crit /var/log/spoolerr FILES
/etc/syslog.conf The syslogd(8) configuration file. BUGS
The effects of multiple selectors are sometimes not intuitive. For example ``mail.crit,*.err'' will select ``mail'' facility messages at the level of ``err'' or higher, not at the level of ``crit'' or higher. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) 4.4BSD June 9, 1993 4.4BSD