Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting into long delimited string using perl. Post 302707117 by penchal_boddu on Friday 28th of September 2012 05:00:58 AM
Old 09-28-2012
Quote:
cat 123.txt
START|one|two|three|four|five|six|seven
START|one|two|three|four|five|six|seven|eight|nine
START|one|two|three|four

perl -lne 'BEGIN{$occurence = 3 }{ @out=split /\|/ ; $out[$occurence] = "here" ; print join "|" , @out } ' 123.txt
START|one|two|here|four|five|six|seven
START|one|two|here|four|five|six|seven|eight|nine
START|one|two|here|four

---------- Post updated at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:00 AM ----------

Quote:
perl -lne 'BEGIN{$occurence = 3 }{ @out=split /\|/ ; $out[$occurence] = "here" ; print join "|" , @out } ' 123.txt
START|one|two|here|four|five|six|seven
START|one|two|here|four|five|six|seven|eight|nine
START|one|two|here|four

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a String in the file(s)

Hi, I'm a newbee to Unix shell scripting. I want to write a shell script that inserts a new String(name&value pair) into a file(s) at a particular place.I willl have to write one script which when executed should insert a new variable in all the files in that particular directory. Say for eg:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2tbee
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a character between string

i have a file contains like this: i want to create a script that will insert a comma "." after the 10th character so it would be look like this thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakid
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting into first record using perl

hi all... i got some requirment where i need to insert some values into first record of flat file. i am using perl for that job. var1=456 var2=789 echo `perl -p -i -e "s/U/\${var1}U${var2}/g;" myFile.txt` but it is writing into all records which has U.... can anyone help me out in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Inserting text

Hey, I have 10 lines of text ... And I would like to Insert prefix for each line with static text. perl -pi -e 's/()/$1 TEST$./' data.txt Each line will have different static prefix, Code above works perfectly for 1st line ... I'm just not sure how I can run same command for 2nd line 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NDxiak
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a long print string to shotcut form in perl?

print "1.readfromfile\n2.add_ex1(4,5)\n3.add_ex2(11,5)\n4.add_ex3(9,3)\n5.add_ex4(91,4)\n"; How to do it in this form: print "1.readfromfile\n 2.add_ex1(4,5)\n 3.add_ex2(11,5)\n 4.add_ex3(9,3)\n 5.add_ex4(91,4)\n"; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a string in another sting

Hi Experts, I need to insert a sting into another string at a specified position. Like the below. Regards, Tin-Tin (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a long string (readable in sed)

Hi everyone, I am trying to insert a single very long string as the first line of a file, So the following sed commands does what I want; sed '1i\"","a","b","c","d","e","f","g","h","i","j","k","l","m","n","o","p","q","r","s","t","u","v","w","x","y","z"' file.txt Think that all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)