Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH SCRIPT of LS command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH SCRIPT of LS command Post 302706553 by pamu on Thursday 27th of September 2012 02:11:42 AM
Old 09-27-2012
try something like this..

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
var=$1
if [[ "$var" == "files" ]]
then
ls -l| sed -n '/^-/p'
elif [[ "$var" == "dirs" ]]
then
ls -l| sed -n '/^d/p'
else
echo "wrong choice"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cygwin bash script and read command

Hello everyone, I am struggling a bit with a batch script that I need to run in cygwin. I work in winXP and I had to write some awk scripts to do some file manipulation, and now I would like to automate the process by just running a batch file so that my colleagues can use it easily. Now, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling bash command in perl script

Hi, I have tried several times but failed, I need to call this script from the perl script. This one line script will be sent to /var/tmp/error Bash command: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -backstat -l -hoursago 12 |awk '{ print $19, $12, $14, $16}'|grep -vi default|sort >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a bash command from within a perl script?

In a bash script, one can call a perl command in the following manner, where "myperlcommand" is a perl command. perl -e 'myperlcommand(arguments)' perl -e 'print("UUUU"x4)' Now, how can one call a bash command from within a perl script? (Suppose that mybashcommand is a bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LessNux
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore error in command in bash script?

Hello, i have bash script where im cycling some command for different lines in external file. example: while read domain;do nslookupout=$(nslookup -type=ns $domain) || true another commands done < filenamewithdomains i added: || true after the command in belief it will just skip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with awk command ERROR

Hello im new here... Im trying to read file and create folders from words in it but i get this for loop error awk : line 3 : syntax error at or near for my code is.. #!/bin/bash begin for (( i=1;i<=5;i++)); do awk -v i=$i $0 { print $i } mkdir $i done {print $i} end {} i have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boxstep
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to use a sed command as a variable

I need to be able to use a sed command as a variable in a bash script. I have the sed command that almost works the way I want it. the command is sed -n '/inet/,/}/p' config.boot This gets me this result: inet 192.168.1.245 } I need to get the IP address into a variable so I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: edlentz
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building JSON command with bash script

Hello. I'm new to bash script and I'm learning the basics by writing some scripts. Recently a friend of mine asked me if I could try to write a script to him to automate a couple of processes that uses JSON RPCs. I'll try to explain in few words the workflow just to contextualize the problem.... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: psysc0rpi0n
48 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command works interactively but not in bash script

The below command works in the terminal interactively but not as part of a bash script. I though maybe I needed to escape the "$dir" so it isn't interpreted literally, but that's not it. Thank you :). interactively in terminal dir=/path/to new=$(ls "$dir"/*.csv -tr | tail -n 1) && echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)