Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing newlines without changing RS in BEGIN Post 302706501 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 11:35:14 PM
Old 09-27-2012
I'll take it back. If the only constraints are that you can't change RS and you can't have an END clause, this simple modification to my earlier script will do what you want:
Code:
gawk '/^1_this/ {
        if(NR != 1) printf("\n")
        printf("%s|", $0)
        next
}
        {printf("%s", $0)}' input
if [ -s input ]
then echo
fi

It uses the echo command outside of the awk script to add the <newline> that was being provided by the END clause. It just doesn't seem natural to have to add a shell if statement outside of awk when the rest of the program's logic is entirely performed in awk. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inserted newlines from a fileld of fixed width file.

Hi champs! I have a fixed width file in which the records appear like this 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the record of 11111 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_1
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose with two newlines as delimiter

Hi Guys, I have data in a file as follows: a 1 2 3 b 4 5 6 a 6 7 8 a 4 7 9 b 6 8 5 c 0 8 7 So the number of rows which have data is variable (2 for the first group, one for the second group and three for the third group), but the delimiters between the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove improperly placed newlines

Hello, there. I have a file that's a horrible, horrible mess. (Basically, it's an export from a firewall config.) The people who generated the file didn't think that putting a newline in the middle of a hostname would ever be a problem. It is. Here's an example of the stuff in the file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignoring newlines in my search

I have a file that has lines that are deliminated with '^A', but some of the lines go for a few lines and I need those lines to be appended into one line. All of the lines start with 'low debug' and end with ' " 0 '. How can I read each line from start to finish without some of the data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete newlines after every one space

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 Can anyone please let me know how I can format my text like this? abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 I know how to space to newlines using tr but don't know how to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace commas with newlines

Good afternoon, I am trying to read user input. Here is what I have so far: echo "Type the Container ID for every container that you want subnets exported" echo "for (with comma between each one, for example... 1,45,98)" echo -n "if you want every one listed, then just type ALL in caps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newlines

Hi buddy's my file are like this: s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30," ebdug gil",,4 but i want s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30,"ebdug gil",,4 any command or Shell script for this. please help me it's urgent to implement (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
33 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting with newlines

Hi All - I am in need of some help in formating the below file Requirement - 1) replace newlines with space 2) replace '#~# ' with newline ----------------------- sample inputfile a I|abc|abc|aaa#~# I|sddddd|tya|dfg sfd ssss#~# I|tya1|tya2|dfg|sfd|aaa#~#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file with Newlines

Hi Friends, I have a data file with new lines. How to remove the newlines and should be showed in one line. I tried using the command tr -d '\n' filename sed 's/\n//g' file name Ex: 1 abc hyd is actual record but in our scenario showing it as 1 abc hydthis record should be like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
Test::use::ok(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Test::use::ok(3)

NAME
Test::use::ok - Alternative to Test::More::use_ok SYNOPSIS
use ok 'Some::Module'; DESCRIPTION
According to the Test::More documentation, it is recommended to run "use_ok()" inside a "BEGIN" block, so functions are exported at compile-time and prototypes are properly honored. That is, instead of writing this: use_ok( 'Some::Module' ); use_ok( 'Other::Module' ); One should write this: BEGIN { use_ok( 'Some::Module' ); } BEGIN { use_ok( 'Other::Module' ); } However, people often either forget to add "BEGIN", or mistakenly group "use_ok" with other tests in a single "BEGIN" block, which can create subtle differences in execution order. With this module, simply change all "use_ok" in test scripts to "use ok", and they will be executed at "BEGIN" time. The explicit space after "use" makes it clear that this is a single compile-time action. SEE ALSO
Test::More CC0 1.0 Universal To the extent possible under law, XX has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to Test-use-ok. This work is published from Taiwan. <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0> POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 45: Non-ASCII character seen before =encoding in 'XX'. Assuming UTF-8 perl v5.18.2 2012-09-11 Test::use::ok(3)