Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing a $VARIABLE within a script. Post 302706493 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 11:06:47 PM
Old 09-27-2012
The solution I posted earlier should work for this data eg:

Code:
EVENTMSG="Sept 21, 2012 8:21:55 PM MDT - Device Main_Server_01 of type Host_Server is no longer responding to requests.  This condition has persisted for more than 3 minutes.

Alert Code: Danger
 Server Instance: 31415
 Severity: Critical"
SI=$(echo "$EVENTMSG" | sed -nE 's/.+Server Instance:\s(\S+)/\1/p')
echo $SI

Output is:
Code:

If you know extended regular expressions, and I suspect you do as you posted the above RE in your first post.
You should be able to tailor the sed command to fetch any value you are after.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a variable string

Hi all, I have a problem surfacing and I hope you all could help. What I have to do is take a input file and fill out a fax template from that file. The biggest problem I found was I have to parse the string "//FAX(faxnumber=555-5555;style="style1"; and on and on. The string can be in any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pageld
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing a variable length record

I need to pick a field out of a variable record - the field is always found 4 fields after a certain text string, but it can be on any line of the record and in any position across the record on a line. I have had no luck through any of the Unix editors being able to cut a field that isn't always... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a string into variable

I know solution to this but I was wondering if its easier than what i think I have to pass 20 parameters to a script, which of course is not working so I parsed $3 to be a pipe deliminated string for instance below a.ksh One Two Compa|Compb|Compc|compd|............. Now i have to read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anubhav
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a variable

Hi, I want to get an input from user and parse the input. The legal characters allowed in the input are alnum(a-zA-Z0-0), . , - Also the first and las characters must be alnum only. e.g if the input is abc.ghh-sok.com then the script should return correct, and if the input is like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_rohit7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a variable length file

Hi I am new to shell scripting. I need to parse a file which contains the header and detail records and split into n of file based on dept ID, for ex. INPUT FILE: DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: XYZ EMPAddress: XYZZZ DEPT ID: 2 EMPNAME: ABC EMPAddress: ABCD DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: PQR EMPAddress:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing a variable

Can someone help me? I have been looking in the archives as I am sure this is very simple to do, but I do not know. I have a variable which sometimes contains a file name and sometimes contains a fully qualified file name. I want to be able to separate the directory from the file name into 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file list in variable

Hello, somewhere in a shell script, i am storing the output of "ls" into a variable. My question is how can i parse this variable to get each filepath. I don't want to create a temporary file to write down all the filenames and then parse it.. is there a easy way out.. here is what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing with a variable

I have the following XML <Audit_Type>1</Audit_Type><Session_Id>34505863</Session_Id> <StatementId>1</StatementId><EntryId>1</EntryId> <Extended_Timestamp>2012-03-06T10:25:20.789459</Extended_Timestamp> <DB_User>KASINIY</DB_User> <OS_User>majohn1</OS_User><OS_Process>28636</OS_Process>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Output of a Variable

i have a log file that contains something similar to this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Path directory is not parsing in awk

Hi All, i had to split one files into 10 equally. For that i have coded below awk. OUTPUT_FILE=/home/sit/path/Files/file_EXPORT.lst DIR_NM=`dirname ${OUTPUT_FILE}` awk -v CURR_DATE="$(date +'%d-%m-%Y-%H-%M')" -v pth=$DIR_NM '{print >> pth/"tgt_file_name"CURR_DATE"_"NR%10 }' ${OUTPUT_FILE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: looney
7 Replies
Moose::Meta::Instance(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Moose::Meta::Instance(3)

NAME
Moose::Meta::Instance - The Moose Instance metaclass VERSION
version 2.1202 SYNOPSIS
# nothing to see here DESCRIPTION
This class provides the low level data storage abstractions for attributes. Using this API directly in your own code violates encapsulation, and we recommend that you use the appropriate APIs in Moose::Meta::Class and Moose::Meta::Attribute instead. Those APIs in turn call the methods in this class as appropriate. At present, this is an empty subclass of Class::MOP::Instance, so you should see that class for all API details. INHERITANCE
"Moose::Meta::Instance" is a subclass of Class::MOP::Instance. BUGS
See "BUGS" in Moose for details on reporting bugs. AUTHORS
o Stevan Little <stevan.little@iinteractive.com> o Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> o Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> o Shawn M Moore <code@sartak.org> o XXXX XXX'XX (Yuval Kogman) <nothingmuch@woobling.org> o Karen Etheridge <ether@cpan.org> o Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org> o Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@weftsoar.net> o Chris Prather <chris@prather.org> o Matt S Trout <mst@shadowcat.co.uk> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2006 by Infinity Interactive, Inc.. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-19 Moose::Meta::Instance(3)