Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers removing newlines without changing RS in BEGIN Post 302706479 by lucasvs on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 10:08:10 PM
Old 09-26-2012
And without using an END section, is it doable...Smilie

Last edited by lucasvs; 09-26-2012 at 11:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inserted newlines from a fileld of fixed width file.

Hi champs! I have a fixed width file in which the records appear like this 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 11111 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the record of 11111 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> description for 22222 <fixed spaces such as 6> some more field to the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_1
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose with two newlines as delimiter

Hi Guys, I have data in a file as follows: a 1 2 3 b 4 5 6 a 6 7 8 a 4 7 9 b 6 8 5 c 0 8 7 So the number of rows which have data is variable (2 for the first group, one for the second group and three for the third group), but the delimiters between the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove improperly placed newlines

Hello, there. I have a file that's a horrible, horrible mess. (Basically, it's an export from a firewall config.) The people who generated the file didn't think that putting a newline in the middle of a hostname would ever be a problem. It is. Here's an example of the stuff in the file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignoring newlines in my search

I have a file that has lines that are deliminated with '^A', but some of the lines go for a few lines and I need those lines to be appended into one line. All of the lines start with 'low debug' and end with ' " 0 '. How can I read each line from start to finish without some of the data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete newlines after every one space

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 Can anyone please let me know how I can format my text like this? abc 3456 computer 3214 printer 0.9823 computer 3214 I know how to space to newlines using tr but don't know how to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing newlines after a certain word.

Hello! This is my first post here. I have a file with text like: A</title> B C</title> D I need to format it to: AB CD I am trying to use sed: sed 's/<//title>\n/ /g' file > newfile to delete </title> and the newline character, but the file is unchanged because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaytonCPS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace commas with newlines

Good afternoon, I am trying to read user input. Here is what I have so far: echo "Type the Container ID for every container that you want subnets exported" echo "for (with comma between each one, for example... 1,45,98)" echo -n "if you want every one listed, then just type ALL in caps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newlines

Hi buddy's my file are like this: s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30," ebdug gil",,4 but i want s.no,name,band,sal 1,"suneel",,10 2,"bargav sand",,20 30,"ebdug gil",,4 any command or Shell script for this. please help me it's urgent to implement (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneelbabu.etl
33 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formatting with newlines

Hi All - I am in need of some help in formating the below file Requirement - 1) replace newlines with space 2) replace '#~# ' with newline ----------------------- sample inputfile a I|abc|abc|aaa#~# I|sddddd|tya|dfg sfd ssss#~# I|tya1|tya2|dfg|sfd|aaa#~#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J1nx007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file with Newlines

Hi Friends, I have a data file with new lines. How to remove the newlines and should be showed in one line. I tried using the command tr -d '\n' filename sed 's/\n//g' file name Ex: 1 abc hyd is actual record but in our scenario showing it as 1 abc hydthis record should be like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
CHARMAP(5)                                                   Linux Programmer's Manual                                                  CHARMAP(5)

NAME
charmap - character set description file DESCRIPTION
A character set description (charmap) defines all available characters and their encodings in a character set. localedef(1) can use charmaps to create locale variants for different character sets. Syntax The charmap file starts with a header that may consist of the following keywords: <code_set_name> is followed by the name of the character map. <comment_char> is followed by a character that will be used as the comment character for the rest of the file. It defaults to the number sign (#). <escape_char> is followed by a character that should be used as the escape character for the rest of the file to mark characters that should be interpreted in a special way. It defaults to the backslash (). <mb_cur_max> is followed by the maximum number of bytes for a character. The default value is 1. <mb_cur_min> is followed by the minimum number of bytes for a character. This value must be less than or equal than <mb_cur_max>. If not speci- fied, it defaults to <mb_cur_max>. The character set definition section starts with the keyword CHARMAP in the first column. The following lines may have one of the two following forms to define the character set: <character> byte-sequence comment This form defines exactly one character and its byte sequence, comment being optional. <character>..<character> byte-sequence comment This form defines a character range and its byte sequence, comment being optional. The character set definition section ends with the string END CHARMAP. The character set definition section may optionally be followed by a section to define widths of characters. The WIDTH_DEFAULT keyword can be used to define the default width for all characters not explicitly listed. The default character width is 1. The width section for individual characters starts with the keyword WIDTH in the first column. The following lines may have one of the two following forms to define the widths of the characters: <character> width This form defines the width of exactly one character. <character>...<character> width This form defines the width for all the characters in the range. The width definition section ends with the string END WIDTH. FILES
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps Usual default character map path. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.2. EXAMPLE
The Euro sign is defined as follows in the UTF-8 charmap: <U20AC> /xe2/x82/xac EURO SIGN SEE ALSO
iconv(1), locale(1), localedef(1), locale(5), charsets(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU 2016-07-17 CHARMAP(5)