Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing a $VARIABLE within a script. Post 302706367 by dlundwall on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 02:52:22 PM
Old 09-26-2012
Example which may help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
You're right. That doesn't give us much of an answer.

Please show us a few examples (using code tags) of actual event messages.
Then given those messages, tell us exactly what you want to get as a result of processing them. If what you want to get out of a message depends on a SetScript, tell us how to find the SetScript associated with an arbitrary message and show us relevant examples of SetScript contents.
let me see if I can supply what you are asking for:

Here is a sample of an event message file:
Code:
{d "%w- %d %m-, %Y - %T"} - Device {m} of type {t} is no longer responding to requests.  This condition has persisted for more than 3 minutes.

Alert Code: {S 1}
Server Instance: {I 2}
Severity: {S 100}

Here is a sample of the same event message when I get it in the application with an alert that has been processed:
Code:
Sept 21, 2012 8:21:55 PM MDT - Device Main_Server_01 of type Host_Server is no longer responding to requests.  This condition has persisted for more than 3 minutes.

Alert Code: Danger
Server Instance: 31415
Severity: Critical

I am looking to get, as an example, the Server Instance value. The event file uses {I 2} which represents the 2nd varbind in the trap that is being sent, and the value is an Integer. I obviously don't care about the literal "{I 2}" portion, I am interested in the value that it is bringing back: 31415.

So in the SetScript it would look something like this:

Code:
# echo "EventMessage: $EVENTMSG"
echo "Server Instance Error: " $SI

where $SI is the value taken from the $EVENTMSG that I will hopefully be able to parse.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a variable string

Hi all, I have a problem surfacing and I hope you all could help. What I have to do is take a input file and fill out a fax template from that file. The biggest problem I found was I have to parse the string "//FAX(faxnumber=555-5555;style="style1"; and on and on. The string can be in any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pageld
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing a variable length record

I need to pick a field out of a variable record - the field is always found 4 fields after a certain text string, but it can be on any line of the record and in any position across the record on a line. I have had no luck through any of the Unix editors being able to cut a field that isn't always... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barb
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a string into variable

I know solution to this but I was wondering if its easier than what i think I have to pass 20 parameters to a script, which of course is not working so I parsed $3 to be a pipe deliminated string for instance below a.ksh One Two Compa|Compb|Compc|compd|............. Now i have to read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anubhav
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a variable

Hi, I want to get an input from user and parse the input. The legal characters allowed in the input are alnum(a-zA-Z0-0), . , - Also the first and las characters must be alnum only. e.g if the input is abc.ghh-sok.com then the script should return correct, and if the input is like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_rohit7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a variable length file

Hi I am new to shell scripting. I need to parse a file which contains the header and detail records and split into n of file based on dept ID, for ex. INPUT FILE: DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: XYZ EMPAddress: XYZZZ DEPT ID: 2 EMPNAME: ABC EMPAddress: ABCD DEPT ID: 1 EMPNAME: PQR EMPAddress:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing a variable

Can someone help me? I have been looking in the archives as I am sure this is very simple to do, but I do not know. I have a variable which sometimes contains a file name and sometimes contains a fully qualified file name. I want to be able to separate the directory from the file name into 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file list in variable

Hello, somewhere in a shell script, i am storing the output of "ls" into a variable. My question is how can i parse this variable to get each filepath. I don't want to create a temporary file to write down all the filenames and then parse it.. is there a easy way out.. here is what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing with a variable

I have the following XML <Audit_Type>1</Audit_Type><Session_Id>34505863</Session_Id> <StatementId>1</StatementId><EntryId>1</EntryId> <Extended_Timestamp>2012-03-06T10:25:20.789459</Extended_Timestamp> <DB_User>KASINIY</DB_User> <OS_User>majohn1</OS_User><OS_Process>28636</OS_Process>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Output of a Variable

i have a log file that contains something similar to this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Path directory is not parsing in awk

Hi All, i had to split one files into 10 equally. For that i have coded below awk. OUTPUT_FILE=/home/sit/path/Files/file_EXPORT.lst DIR_NM=`dirname ${OUTPUT_FILE}` awk -v CURR_DATE="$(date +'%d-%m-%Y-%H-%M')" -v pth=$DIR_NM '{print >> pth/"tgt_file_name"CURR_DATE"_"NR%10 }' ${OUTPUT_FILE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: looney
7 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)