Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Round up the decimals
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Round up the decimals Post 302706185 by pamu on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 09:43:06 AM
Old 09-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevm
awk 'BEGIN {printf "%.0f",($TOTAL_RECORDS * 75 /100) }'
but it returned 0 instead of 562
try this..
Code:
awk -v VAR="$TOTAL_RECORDS" 'BEGIN {printf "%.0f",(VAR * 75 /100) }'

$TOTAL_RECORDS this is shell variable not awk..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handle decimals

Hi All, How we can handle decimals in (Float) in UNIX. a=73 b=5 c=`expr a / b` i am getting 14 but i need full 14.6 . Can any one help me pls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne and decimals??

I need to get 15% of the variable exer1 to be added to other exercises so far, i've got exer1=$1 aver=`expr $exer \* .15` but i keep getting an error that an integer value was expected. Is there anyway around this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdyzsa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing and rounding up decimals

Hi Experts, I have a command that gives me the output as below root@ckpgpay11core> cat sara | awk '{ sum += $1} ; END { print sum }' | awk {'print $1/90'} 8.88889 how do i remove the decimal spaces so that the figure will round itself to 9? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert Regular decimals to Packed decimals

Hi, I am trying to find if there is a way to convert regular decimal values to Paced decimal values. I tried to find a c program but I could get a Packed converted to regular decimal not the other way round. If not unix please let me know if any other progrimming language I can use to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to multiple decimals in linux

How to multiple decimals in Linux? When I do it like this i get an error message echo "$((1 * 1.1))" -bash: 1 * 1.1: syntax error in expression (error token is ".1") (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimals in TCSH

Hello, I want to run a loop with non-integer values (which I know I can't) so I've created a loop of integers and divided it by 10. However, these values are always rounded down to 1 significant figure. How do I get the script to keep and use the decimal value? My script is as follows #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding Decimals in Cshell

Hello... I am new to unix and I am wondering if in a C-shell script , Are we supposed to use only whole numbers........ for example..if a program needs to calculate the average of some numbers........ @ avg = (($1 +$2 + $3)/3)) is returning a whole number.........How can a decimal be achieved... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravindra22
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting date in seconds with decimals

I am trying to get date to display decimal Desired output 1350386096256.12 I know this can be done with printf, but are not able to make it work. I have tested this and many otherprintf "%.2f" $(($(date +%s%N)/1000000)) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can expr deal with decimals?

Hello, Im trying to work on a small script for a formula converting temperatures, Celsius to fahrenheit. I have a formula, and it works.... it works every way I try it. But it keeps giving me the wrong results every time with expr. The formula for C to F would be: divide by 5, multiply by... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
12 Replies

10. Programming

Decimals reading Python

Hello, i'm new in python. Consider that i have this function that read me some data from a serial : def GetData(): line = open(serialx).read() hash = line.find("#") when = line count = line # print when, count, line return (float(when), int(count)) it gives me the result... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)