Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop Post 302706145 by valente on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 08:45:13 AM
Old 09-26-2012
Merging two columns from two files with similar names into a loop

I have two files like this:
fileA.net
Code:
A
B
C

fileA.dat
Code:

and I want the output

output_expected
Code:
A 1
B 2
C 3

I know that the easier way is to do a paste fileA.net fileA.dat, but the problem is that I have 10,000 couple of files (fileB.net with fileB.dat; fileC.net with fileC.dat ....) and it is not feasible by hand.
So I tried to insert the next script into a loop for:
Code:
for a in *.net
do
  name=`echo $a |sed 's/.net/.dat`
  two=`cat $name`
  echo -e "$a"'\t'"two" > $a.output_observed
done

However, the output was
fileA.net.output_observed
Code:
A
B
C    1

Is it possible to apply the paste command for two variables? I tried this, but it was reported that the list is too long, or something like this. Somebody know a smart way to merge two columns of files with similar names in large scale, due to have 10,000 of files?

Best regards.

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-26-2012 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting columns from different files for later merging

Hello! I wan't to extract columns from two files and later combine them for plotting with gnuplot. If the files file1 and file2 look like: fiile1: a, 0.62,x b, 0.61,x file2: a, 0.43,x b, 0,49,x The desired output is a 0.62 0.62 b 0.61 0.49 Thank you in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing similar columns in two different files

Hi, I have two text files.The first and the 2nd file have data in the same format For e.g. The first file has table_name1 column1 sum(column1) max(column1) min(column1) table_name1 column2 sum(column2) max(column2) min(column2) table_name1 coulmn3 sum(column3) max(column3) min(column3) ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging similar columns in a single line file

Hi Guys. I have tried the commands sort and join. But I couldn't able to to find the command for joining in a single line based on keys.My example inputs and outputs are like the following. Help would be appreciated.:D Input file a1tabXXXXXXX a2tabXXXXXXX a6tabYYYYYYYYY a71tabXXXXXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging columns from multiple files

Hello, I have a number of tab delimited data files consists of two columns. Like that: File1 800.000000 0.002744 799.000000 0.002517 798.000000 0.002836 797.000000 0.002553 FIle2 800.000000 0.000261 799.000000 0.000001 798.000000 0.000551 797.000000 0.000275 File3... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: erden
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing file names and then grouping similar files

Hello Friends, I have .tar files which exists under different directories after the below code is run: find . -name "*" -type f -print | grep .tar > tmp.txt cat tmp.txt ./dir1/subdir1/subdir2/database-db1_28112009.tar ./dir2/subdir3/database-db2_28112009.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files with similar names to folder

I have in directory /media/AUDIO/WAVE many .mp3 files with names like: my filename_01of02.mp3 my filename_02of02.mp3 Your File_01of06.mp3 Your File_02of06.mp3 etc.... In the same directory, /media/AUDIO/WAVE, I have many folders with names like 9780743579490 9780743579491 etc.. Inside... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two files with two columns being similar

Hi everyone. How can I merge two files, where each file has 2 columns and the first columns in both files are similar? I want all in a file of 4 columns; join command removes the duplicate columns. 1 Dave 2 Mark 3 Paul 1 Apple 2 Orange 3 Grapes to get it like this in the 3rd file:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Multiple Columns between two files

Hello guys, I have 2 CSV files which goes like this: CSV1: Breaking.csv: UTF-8 "Name","Description","Occupation","Email" "Walter White","","Chemistry Teacher","w.w@bb.com" "Jessie Pinkman","","Junkie","j.p@bb.com" "Hank Schrader","","DEA Agent","h.s@bb.com" CSV2: Bad.csv... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreybsu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in directory with similar names

So, I have a directory tree that has many files named thusly: X_REVY.PDF I need to find any files that have the same X portion (which can be nearly anything) as any another file (in any directory) but have different Y portions (which can be any number from 1-99). I then need it to return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamezero
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To group the text (rows) by similar columns-names in a file

As part of some report generation, I've written a script to fetch the values from DB. But, unluckily, for certain Time ranges(1-9.99,10-19.99 etc), I don't have data in DB. In such cases, I would like to write zero (0) instead of empty. The desired output will be exported to csv file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumar_karpuram
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)