Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users USB RAID 5 Problem on Joli OS 1.2 (Ubuntu) using mdadm Post 302706135 by Lem on Wednesday 26th of September 2012 08:22:44 AM
Old 09-26-2012
Are /dev/sd[bcd]1 already mounted anywhere? If so, unmount them.

Then:
Code:
# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --verbose --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sd[bcd]1

Udev will take care of creating /dev/md0 if it doesn't exist, you don't need to use mknod.
--
Bye

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

RAID Problem on SUSE 11.0

I setup a RAID 5 with 5 drives, one failed, hardware failure so I physically removed it from the raid after powering the machine off then powered it back on and my raid was still good but no 5th drive. I built a 5th drive from scratch and added it in the raid thinking the raid would go into... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacakid
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Ubuntu on USB stick?

Hey Guys I have an Ubuntu CD and I was thinking of creating like a bootable hard drive with various OS so that I can just boot OSs with t drive and not require the CDs. I was just wondering is there a way I can do this, like have Ubuntu boot from a USB stick? If yes how is that possible(even if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Raid problem on T2000

Hi all, First post so be gentile :) It's my first time installing Solaris on T2000 server. I have 2 72GB HD's on it. After configuring HW raid and running raidctl command I get this output: bash-3.00# raidctl -l c0t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Obi-Wan
2 Replies

4. Hardware

Problem with External Raid Controller.

Hi, We have a Sunfire 4150 with On-Board Internal Raid Controller connected to 4 X 146 GB SAS disks. This also has an External Raid Controller (Storagetek Eight-Port, External HBA Model SG-XPCIESAS-R-EXT-Z) connected to a JBOD array ( Storagetek XTA2530 ) which has 5 X 300 GB Hard disk. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjansukumar
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

How to implement TIOCOUTQ for USB modem on Linux Ubuntu

Hi, I need to override ioctl operation for a few USB drivers (sierra, option, cdc-acm) on Linux Ubuntu 2.6.34sb2 to support TIOCOUTQ command. Unfortunately, none of the drivers I mentioned above support TIOCOUTQ because it seems unclear to know amount of data inside a modem. Does Linux... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDoroshenko
12 Replies

6. Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu on USB

I am trying to dual boot on an external USB 500GB drive using my laptop.I have Windows 7 installed and booting on 1st partition 230GB now as active primary, 2nd partition is 100GB as primary, and 3rd partition is 135GB as primary. I was intending on installing Ubuntu onto the 2nd partition. I read... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolecho
12 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Copy existing Ubuntu to boot from USB

Hello all, I am looking for a way to copy the existing Ubuntu server 12.04 to a USB (with all the packages and such) and make it boot from the USB. I have seen other threads about copying the CD image to the USB, which is not exactly I am looking for. Before I start diving into anything I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Installing UBUNTU on USB stick

I'd like to install the OS on my stick. I would like to be able to save my works there and install apps or customize the OS. What can I do Ps. At home I use an iMac, but in the school where I work there are only PC... Ty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fabio_Puricelli
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to fix mistake on raid: mdadm create instead of assemble?

Hi guys, I'm new to RAID although I've had a server running raid5 for a while. It was delivered preinstalled like this and I never really wondered how to monitor and maintain it. This quick introduction just to let you understand why I'm such an idiot asking such a silly question. Now what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
0 Replies
ATARAID(4)                                                 BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                 ATARAID(4)

NAME
ataraid -- ATA software RAID support SYNOPSIS
device ata device ataraid DESCRIPTION
The ataraid driver provides support for so-called software RAID (sometimes referred to as fake RAID or pseudo RAID). When a controller that supports software RAID is instructed to create a RAID array, its BIOS writes data structures in a specific metadata format to the disks. These data structures are picked up by the ataraid driver, so that FreeBSD can work with the array. The ataraid driver has to understand the specific metadata format of a controller BIOS in order to support its RAID capabilities. Read-only support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Creation and rebuild of such arrays has to be done from the controller BIOS. Read and write support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Additionally, the atacontrol(8) utility can be used to create, rebuild, update and fail such RAID arrays. The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats: o Adaptec HostRAID o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Highpoint V3 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o Integrated Technology Express (ITE) o JMicron o LSI Logic V2 MegaRAID o LSI Logic V3 MegaRAID o NVIDIA MediaShield o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Image Medley o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID The ataraid driver can write the following metadata formats: o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o JMicron o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID It is also possible to use software RAID on controllers that do not have special software RAID capabilities. See atacontrol(8) for details. FILES
/dev/ar* ATA RAID device nodes SEE ALSO
ata(4), atacontrol(8) CAVEATS
RAID5 is not supported at this time. Code exists, but it neither uses nor maintains parity information. AUTHORS
The ataraid driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>. BSD February 17, 2006 BSD