Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying sed to only change last occurrence. Post 302705933 by D2K on Tuesday 25th of September 2012 06:57:54 PM
Old 09-25-2012
Modifying sed to only change last occurrence.

I'm using sed to switch integers (one or more digits) to the other side of the ':' colon. For example: "47593:23421" would then be "23421:47593". The way it functions right now, it is messing my settings file to use with gnuplot. The current command is:

Code:
sed 's/\([0-9]*\):\([0-9]*\)/\2:\1/' out3 > plotted.p

How can I modify this to only change the very last occurrence in the text file?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-26-2012 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for the same occurrence or maybe Sed

Hi, I have a file that looks like this dasdjasdjoasjdoasjdoa SYN dakspodkapsdka asdasdasdasdasdasdasd SYN sdfsdfsdfsdfdf shfishifhsdifhsidhfif fsdfsdfsdfsdfs sdfsdfsdfsdsdfsdfsdff cercercercerce sdasdajsdoajsodasodoo FIN dasdaskdpasdda... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change home directory by modifying passwd

hi How can I change the home directory of a user without using usermod -d command? ( by modifying /etc/passwd) (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a file using SED

Dear Members, I have a file which contains data as shown below: LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE xxap.test ( RAW_DATA char(3000) "replace(:raw_data,'*','|')", LOADING_SEQUENCE "xx_gl_bank_fee_s1.nextval", CREATION_DATE SYSDATE, LAST_UPDATE_DATE SYSDATE, ATTRIBUTE1 "DATE_STAMP", ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed diffrent replace by occurrence

I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so I hope you could help me. I need to change something like the following: something/bla/aaaa anything/bbb to: something --bla ----aaaa anything --bbb How do I do this? Is it possible with sed? I tried various patterns, but don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Patwan
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed, last occurrence

How to find last occurrence of a keyword in a file using sed. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution in first occurrence with sed

I have the following script: sed '/string1/,/string2/!d' infile I want to apply the script to the first occurrence only. I have tried sed '0,/string1/,/string2/!d' infile Of course, that does not work Any help will be greatly appreciated (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)