Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Piping Problem
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix Piping Problem Post 302705847 by itsjimmy91 on Tuesday 25th of September 2012 03:14:15 PM
Old 09-25-2012
Hey man, thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry about the code thing. I have made a few adjustments and I think I am really close. My only problem now is that the program is not actually displaying the information in reverse. Is my reverse command not getting hit?

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

int main() {
  int pipefd[2];
  int pid1 = 0, pid2 = 0;
  char *lsArg[2] = {"ls", 0};
  char *rArg[2] = {"-r", 0};
  pipe(pipefd);

printf("Welcome, friend!\n");
  pid1 = fork();
  if(pid1 == 0) {
    close(piped[0]);
    dup2(pipefd[1], 1);
    execv("/bin/ls", lsArg);
  }

pid2 = fork();
  if(pid2 == 0) {
    close(piped[0]);
    dup2(pipefd[0], 0);
    execv("/bin/ls", rArg);
  }
  else {
    close(pipefd[0]);
    close(pipefd[1]);
    waitpid(pid2, NULL, 0);
  }
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping in UNIX

All, I am a UNIX novice with a question that I hope you can help me with. I have a UNIX application called "Tole" that formats and displays specific information about customers. I can display the information for up to 30 customers by seperating customer IDs using commas in this format: Tole -c... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simo007
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with exit code when piping

i am writing a script to perform some mysqldumps and gzip them. The problem I am running into is that if the user specifies a database that doesn't exist, the error the mysql engine produces is still piped into gzip, and the exit code returned is 0. If I don't pipe into gzip, an exit code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitoffish
4 Replies

3. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

4. Programming

piping from C to python in UNIX

Hi, I'm trying to wrap my head around piping in C - I've got a small C program that forks and pipes stuff from the child process to the parent process. Currently the child process calls a C program that squirts out random numbers which then pipes the result to the parent process. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dreams in Blue
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem piping input to script with echo

I am trying to have a script run without interaction from the command line. So in my script i have a line like this echo -e "\n\n\ny\ny\n" | ./script the goal being the ability to mimic 3 Enter presses and 2 'y/n' responses with 'y' followed by enter. For some reason tho, it is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcdef
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in piping the file(s) content from zip files

Hi friends I have a zip file 1.zip which contains three text files a.txt b.txt c.txt I want to grep some text(keyword) in those 3 files without extracting all the three files to a local directoryusing the command, unzip -p 1.zip |grep "search text" >result.txt The Output file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping Unix Variable Array values into AWK

#ksh Here is my code: ERRORLIST="43032 12001 12002 12003 12004 34019 49015 49016 49017 49018 49024 49025 49026 58004 72003 12005 12006 12007 12008 12011 12012 16024 16023" for ERROR in ${ERRORLIST} do awk -v l="$lastdate" '/^....-..-../&&$0>l{d=$0}d&&/Error: '"${ERROR}"'/{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Piping Problem

Hey, I want to create a new file (devices) with the 39th and the 40th character of the line wich is in the array line and in the file drivers. But unfortunately my try doesn't work: sed -n '$linep' drivers | cut -c 39-40 | echo >>devices Perhaps one of you can help me. Thank you! emoly ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: emoly
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit code from piping in unix shell script

Hi , I have following code in my shell script : "$TS_BIN/tranfrmr" "${TS_SETTINGS}/tranfrmr_p1.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/tranfrmr_p1.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/cusparse" "${TS_SETTINGS}/cusparse_p2.stx" "${TS_LOGS}/cusparse_p2.err" | ( "$TS_BIN/tsqsort" "${TS_SETTINGS}/srtforpm_p3.stx"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)