Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cups printing error
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat cups printing error Post 302705613 by Tommyk on Tuesday 25th of September 2012 09:09:35 AM
Old 09-25-2012
cups printing error

Hi All,

Having searched for a solution to this issue i found no suggestions which help my particular problem.

I am getting the following error message on 1 of the 3 printers i have configured:
Code:
recoverable: Network host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds

All 3 printers are configured in the same way, socket://printername:9100, using the same ppd file (generic text-only), they are the same make/model (OKI 320). The only difference i can see is that they have different IP addresses.

2 of the printers work fine, it is only 1 of them that is saying it is busy.

Can anyone suggest a reason why this may be happening?

Code:
lpstat -a
printer1 accepting requests since Tue 25 Sep 2012 13:57:20 BST
printer2 accepting requests since Tue 25 Sep 2012 08:42:06 BST
printer3 accepting requests since Tue 25 Sep 2012 08:50:03 BST

lpq -Pprinter1
printer1 is ready
no entries
lpq -Pprinter2
printer2 is ready
no entries
lpq -Pprinter3
printer3 is ready
no entries

I have checked all log directories /var/log/messages /var/log/cups/access_log and error_log and i can see no reason why printer1 is not working yet printer2 and printer3 work no problem.

Version of cups is cups.x86_64 1:1.3.7-30.el5

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CUPS No pages found! error

Hi, I created a CUPS printer using the CUPS web server 127.0.0.1:631/printers. Can add printers, delete jobs, etc. However I cannot print using CUPS. I run a Test Page and get "No Pages Found!" error. The error log reveals what is below. Any ideas on why this happens and how I can fix it? I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestcea
0 Replies

2. Linux

Landscape printing broken in CUPS?

Hello, I am using version: cups-config --version - 1.2.4 However, when i use the -o land or -o landscape command it doesn't print in Landscape. I have the same problem on another server. (Both running CENTOS). Does landscape printing work in CUPS? Is there a fix? Thanks in an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make is giving error while installing cups in hpux

m installing cups-1.2.12 in hp-ux ./configure didnt give any error. but make gives the following error making all in cups... Compiling adminutil.c... In file included from http-private.h:142, from globals.h:35, from adminutil.c:47: /usr/include/net/if.h:240: error: field 'iftp_local' has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalina
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow printing / CUPS - process "parallel" high cpu

Hello. I have a slackware system running cups with an HP laserJet 2100 connected via parallel port in ECP mode. Print jobs are working. Very slowly. 15K test print out of cups takes about 2 minutes to complete. When the printout is on the way to the printer, the process "parallel" uses... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
0 Replies

5. Slackware

CUPS setup / dev/lp0 perms. ... Slow printing.

Hello, Ive got an HP LaserJet 2100 / parallel interface. I had some troubles getting going due to non-working cups drivers. Updated cups and also used a .ppd.gz file from something HP provided. found the files here... www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_2100 Anyways.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
1 Replies

6. SCO

Printing as a CUPS client, only root can print!

Hi, i'm running Openserver 5.0.7 as a CUPS client for a Linux server. The root user can issue a "lpstat -t" to see the printers and can submit jobs without issues. The problem presents when I try to work as a regular user. If I issue an "lpstat -t" all I get after a few seconds is "lpstat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyruspy
1 Replies

7. AIX

Remote printing to Linux CUPS queue

Hello all. I am setting up a queue under AIX 4.2.1 to print to a remote Linux CUPS queue. At present I can print to the queue remotely from Windows but not AIX. What I am seeing is lpstat reads the state of the remote queue but at job submission time I am getting backend exit fatal errors. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgx
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CUPS printing and control escape codes

I ported application from SysV to Linux and run into troubles with printing. Application uses lp and HP JetDirect-based printers, it inserts HP control codes in the file and uses plain lp -d dest doc-file command to print it. The Linux (Ubuntu 8) has CUPS system, which I am not familiar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Slow printing to network printers using CUPS

Hi Guys, I've inherited a mess of an infrastructure in my new job, there hasn't been a sys admin in post for about a year, so things are falling apart. The first thing to break after I started was the printer server. I have it working again, and people can print, however it's very slow, slower... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Troubleshooting printing through Cups

Hello Experts, I have been facing an issue with printing through cups configured on Linux server. All was going on well but all of a sudden the printers started giving an error message, "Unsupported format application/postscript!" and we cant get any prints of any printer. Need your help as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockyc3400
2 Replies
cupsaddsmb(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaddsmb(8)

NAME
cupsaddsmb - export printers to samba for windows clients SYNOPSIS
cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] -a cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] printer [ ... printer ] DESCRIPTION
The cupsaddsmb program exports printers to the SAMBA software (version 2.2.0 or higher) for use with Windows clients. Depending on the SAMBA configuration, you may need to provide a password to export the printers. This program requires the Windows printer driver files described below. SAMBA CONFIGURATION cupsaddsmb uses the RPC-based printing support in SAMBA to provide printer drivers and PPD files to Windows client machines. In order to use this functionality, you must first configure the SAMBA smb.conf(5) file to support printing through CUPS and provide a printer driver download share, as follows: [global] load printers = yes printing = cups printcap name = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba browseable = no public = yes guest ok = yes writable = no printable = yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /etc/samba/drivers browseable = yes guest ok = no read only = yes write list = root This configuration assumes a FHS-compliant installation of SAMBA; adjust the [printers] and [print$] share paths accordingly on your system as needed. MICROSOFT POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS The base driver for Windows 2000 and higher is the Microsoft PostScript driver, which is available on any system running Windows 2000 or higher in the %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSW32X863 folder for 32-bit drivers and %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSX643 folder for 64-bit drivers. Copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: ps5ui.dll pscript.hlp pscript.ntf pscript5.dll Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. OPTIONS
cupsaddsmb supports the following options: -H samba-server Specifies the SAMBA server which defaults to the CUPS server. -U samba-user[%samba-password] Specifies the SAMBA print admin username which defaults to your current username. If the username contains a percent (%) character, then the text following the percent is treated as the SAMBA password to use. -a Exports all known printers. Otherwise only the named printers are exported. -h cups-server[:port] Specifies a different CUPS server to use. -v Specifies that verbose information should be shown. This is useful for debugging SAMBA configuration problems. SEE ALSO
rpcclient(1), smbclient(1), smbd(8), smb.conf(5), CUPS Online Help (http://localhost:631/help) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 by Apple Inc. 11 June 2014 CUPS cupsaddsmb(8)