Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines above the patterns Post 302705153 by razen on Monday 24th of September 2012 10:27:47 AM
Old 09-24-2012
fkfkdlfjkdlf
fdfdfdf
lkkklkhj
eyoieue

fjdlkfjdlkjflk
ieiereirei
fkfjdklfjd
fdfdkjdf

euieuie
fkdfjdkfj
fkdfjkf
uiouoiuiu

fdjkdfjdlkjkld
fdkfjdklfjdlk
fdjfkldjlkf
fdjkfkl
fdkfdkfkd

If a txt file contains above lines, in which I want to delte all the number pattern lines
(aboe and below on the whole 5 lines) and the ultimate file should contain the last unpatterned five lines

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get lines in between Patterns?

Hi, I need to create a script that does the following: 1. Read the file for the occurrences of "EXECUTE" and "END" strings. There will be several occurrences of EXECUTE and END strings on the file. 2. The resulting lines in #1, needs to be searched for the word... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines between two patterns without deleting the second pattern

I want to delete lines like this sed '/FROM_HERE/,/TO_HERE/d' but I would like to *not* delete the second match, i.e. the TO_HERE line. How can I achieve this? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for searching a pattern in 5 files and deleting the patterns given

Hi All, I have written the below script that searches for the pattern in a file and delete them if present. please can some one have a look and suggest the changes in the script. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get the lines between two patterns?

hi, I have the following file hello world this is to say bye to everyone so bye I want to get the lines from hello to the first bye inclusive into another file? how can I do this (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines between patterns using sed or awk

hi, Here is excerpt from my xml file <!-- The custom module to do the authentication for LDAP --> </login-module> <login-module code="com.nlayers.seneca.security.LdapLogin" flag="sufficient"> <module-option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines above the patterns

I want to delete 1 line above the paatern and 3 lines below the pattern and the pattern line itself, on the whole 5 lines. If there are three patterns to be deleted what to do and the final text file to be captured in a new file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the lines exist between the Mattched Patterns

Hi, I have a file with the content: for name in \ sree\ rama\ laila\ srihari\ vicky\ john do echo $name done I need to remove all the name lines that exist between for (first line) and do line so that i can replace with new names. Output file should look like: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1, lines only in file1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2, lines only in file2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3, lines common to both. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 12, 2009 BSD