Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find out match characters on all lines Post 302705121 by pamu on Monday 24th of September 2012 09:16:24 AM
Old 09-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwzkevin
My bad! The example I have up there is just for example. The matching actually has no pattern at all. I don't know where the matching(s) is/are happening and I don't know how many of them are out there and I don't know how long of each matching. Since each line is 3,278,824 in length...
Please provide some extra info about your input file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines greater than 80 characters in a file

Hi, Can anyone please give me the grep command to find all the lines in a file that exceed 80 columns Thanks, gubbala (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrgubbala
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines

First of all, I know this can be more eassily done with perl or other scripting languages but, that's not the issue. I need this in sed. (or wander if it's possible ) I got a file (trace file to recreate the control file from oracle for the dba boys) which contains some lines another line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find lines that match exact input and count?

I am writing a package manager in BASH and I would like a small snippet of code that finds lines that match exact input and count them. For example, my file contains: xyz xyz-lib2.0+ xyz-lib2.0 xyz-lib1.5 and "grep -c xyz" returns 4. The current function is: # $1 is the package name.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooprocks123e
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a word and print n lines before and after the match

how to find a word and print n lines before and after the match until a blank line is encounterd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk display the match and 2 lines after the match is found.

Hello, can someone help me how to find a word and 2 lines after it and then send the output to another file. For example, here is myfile1.txt. I want to search for "Error" and 2 lines below it and send it to myfile2.txt I tried with grep -A but it's not supported on my system. I tried with awk,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eurouno
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find lines where the length is less than 50 characters

Hi, I have a big file say abc.csv. And in that file, I need to find lines whose length is less than 50 characters. How can it be achieved? Thanks in advance. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on column in file1, find match in file2 and print matching lines

file1: file2: I need to find matches for any lines in file1 that appear in file2. Desired output is '>' plus the file1 term, followed by the line after the match in file2 (so the title is a little misleading): This is honestly beyond what I can do without spending the whole night on it, so I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - (URGENT!) Print lines sort and move lines if match found

URGENT HELP IS NEEDED!! I am looking to move matching lines (01 - 07) from File1 and 77 tab the matching string from File2, to File3.txt. I am almost done but - Currently, script is not printing lines to File3.txt in order. - Also the matching lines are not moving out of File1.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: High-T
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the value & print lines from the match

Hello, I have a file contains two columns. I need to print the lines after “xxx” so i'm trying to match "xxx" & cut the lines after that. I'm trying with the grep & cut command, if there any simple way to extract this please help me. Sample file : name id AAA 123 AAB 124 AAC 125... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines if fields match in lines

In the awk below, what I am attempting to do is check each line in the tab-delimeted input, which has ~20 lines in it, for a keyword SVTYPE=Fusion. If the keyword is found I am splitting $3 using the . (dot) and reading the portion before and after the dot in an array a. If it does have that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies