Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] how is proper way to validate user input Post 302704919 by Arun_Linux on Monday 24th of September 2012 02:03:11 AM
Old 09-24-2012
use a while loop.

Code:
while true
do
   echo "enter directory for output file [e.g: /home/admin/dst/]:"
    read OUTPUTFILE
    if [ ! -d $OUTPUTFILE ]  ;
    then
         echo "ERROR: invalid directory"
     else
         echo "Directory validated successfully.."
         break
     fi
done

hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to Arun_Linux For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH validate user input

Hey, im trying to validate a user input and need some help. The input needs to be just a single letter. Im using a case to so this eg: read answer case $answer in *) echo "OK" ;; *) echo "This is a number" read answer ;; *) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 602chrislys
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash user input

Hi all, I currently have a script which uses read -p for user interaction. e.g. read -p "New user? " user Is it possible to have it so if the user enters nothing and just presses return it can resort to a specified value instead? Thanks! :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to validate user input for float?

I'm trying to only read price (FLOAT (i.e 1.10, 3.14, etc etc)) If the input is just an integer, I will add a .00 behind. (i.e 3 becomes 3.00 , 20 becomes 20.00) If the input is without 2 decimal places, I'll add a 0. (i.e 3.1 becomes 3.10) I tried using the below code, it works but I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash user input

I am starting to learn how to use bash and I would like the script to do the following: Asks the user for his/her name Asks the user for one number Asks the user for another number Then it adds the two numbers, Also multiply the two numbers I have the part where you get the name, and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies
asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS) 				   User Commands				   asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-list-admin-objects, list-admin-objects - gets all the administered objects SYNOPSIS
list-admin-objects --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] Lists all the administered objects. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. Example 1: Using list-admin-objects asadmin> list-admin-objects --user admin --password admin123 Command list-admin-objects executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-admin-object(1AS), asadmin-delete-admin-object(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-list-admin-objects(1AS)