Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging multiple files using lines from one file Post 302704853 by iconig on Sunday 23rd of September 2012 09:44:41 PM
Old 09-23-2012
Yes you are right with the output file having 3001 columns and 3000 rows. I am interested in the correct matching of column 1 in the list with the first column from each other file. The output file is supposed to create the row and column in the order of the list i.e picking the lines that correspond to that in the list for all the b.files

---------- Post updated at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:25 PM ----------

I am not too experienced with the nested loop or if there is a better way to do this

---------- Post updated at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:26 PM ----------
Code:
for i in 'home/John/list'
do
      echo $i > fn.
for files in 'home/John/b*'
do
       echo $file > ffn
       paste fn1 ffn fnuse.temp
       cp fnuse.temp fnuse
     done
done

The $file are the b.4, b.5... ,b.3000 files

---------- Post updated at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:52 PM ----------

Please could anybody be of help? Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 09-24-2012 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging columns from multiple files in one file

Hi, I want to select columns from multiple files and combine them in one file. The files are simulation-data-files with 23 columns each and about 50 rows. I now use: cut -f 11 Sweep?wing-30?scale=0.?0?fan2?.txt | pr -3 | awk '{printf("\n%s\t%s\t%s",$1,$2,$3)}' > ../Data_Processed/output.txtI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isgoed
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching lines across multiple csv files and merging a particular field

I have about 20 CSV's that all look like this: "","","","","","","","","","","","","","","",""What I've been told I need to produce is the exact same thing, but with each file now containing the start_code from every other file where the email matches. It doesn't matter if any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging information from multiple files to a single file

Hello, I am new to unix and need help with a problem. I have 2 files each containing multiple columns of information ie; File 1 : A B C D E 1 2 3 4 5 File 2 : F G 6 7 I would like to merge the information from File 2 to File 1 so that the data reads as follows; File 1: A... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging multiple lines into single line

Hi, 1. Each message starts with date 2. There is blank line between each message 3. Each message does not contain same number of lines. Any help in merging multiple lines in each message to a single line is much appreciated. AIX: Korn Shell Error log file looks like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bala123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple files from multiple columns

Hi guys, I have very basic linux experience so I need some help with a problem. I have 3 files from which I want to extract columns based on common fields between them. File1: --- rs74078040 NA 51288690 T G 461652 0.99223 0.53611 3 --- rs77209296 NA 51303525 T G 461843 0.98973 0.60837 3... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartman2099
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Merging multiple files with symbol representing new file

I just tried following ls *.dat|sort -t"_" -k2n,2|while read f1 && read f2; do awk '{print}' $f1 awk FNR==1'{print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,"*","*","*" }' OFS="\t" $f2 awk '{print}' $f2 donegot following result 18-Dec-1983 11:45:00 AM 18.692 84.672 0 25.4 24 18-Dec-1983 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines

I do have a text file with multiple lines on it. I want to put the lines of text into a single line where ever there is ";" for example ert, ryt, yvig, fgr; rtyu, hjk, uio, hyu, hjo; ghj, tyu, gho, hjp, jklo, kol; The resultant file I would like to have is ert, ryt, yvig, fgr;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merging multiple lines into single line based on one column

I Want to merge multiple lines based on the 1st field and keep into single record. SRC File: AAA_POC_DB.TAB1 AAA_POC_DB.TAB2 AAA_POC_DB.TAB3 AAA_POC_DB.TAB4 BBB_POC_DB.TAB1 BBB_POC_DB.TAB2 CCC_POC_DB.TAB6 OUTPUT ----------------- 'AAA_POC_DB','TAB1','TAB2','TAB3','TAB4'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
10 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1)                                                     Git Manual                                                     GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action Set GIT_REFLOG_ACTION environment to a given string (typically the name of the program) unless it is already set. Whenever the script runs a git command that updates refs, a reflog entry is created using the value of this string to leave the record of what command updated the ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)