Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [SOLVED] ifconfig mishap
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support [SOLVED] ifconfig mishap Post 302704829 by bakunin on Sunday 23rd of September 2012 04:22:52 PM
Old 09-23-2012
Have a look at some central services for the IP-address of the card you misconfigured: try "nslookup" from another system to query the DNS server (or analogous if you have NIS/NISplus) and have a look in "/etc/hosts" if you can retrieve the IP-address.

Then use "ifconfig" again to restore the correct IP-address.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

/edit: hold on - the IP address isn't misconfigured. I first read "10.10.10.10", but the IP is "10.10.10.20". confirm that it is the correct address, otherwise: see above.

What looks wrong is the broadcast-address and the subnetmask. According to the SNM the broadcast address belongs to a different subnet. Could you clarify which address/SNM/broadcast address there should be?

Last edited by bakunin; 09-23-2012 at 05:29 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig and ipconfig

hey, I know that ifconfig on linux systems is identical to win ipconfig. I wanted to know if there is a linux distribution (new or old) that uses the ipconfig command. thanks alot :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsmotix
2 Replies

5. Solaris

ifconfig -a not working

Hi All, I logged into a sun microsystems server box, using both a vnc session and a ssh session. I am able to use "ifconfig -a" in a ssh session, but the same on a vnc session says that its a invalid command. how is this possible, when i am logging into the same box through two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pardhuhere
4 Replies

6. IP Networking

/etc/hosts changes when ifconfig......

Hello everyone. Im using last redhat enterprise edition and in my working environment, i'm always reconfiguring both interfaces , eth0 and eth1, everytime i change any interface, (i use ifconfig to change ip, and after i execute "/etc/init.d/network restart") my "/etc/hosts" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

ifconfig problem

Hi all, I am getting some error messages during bootup ifconfig :<hostname> bad address and some more messages related to it. I some how checked the /etc/hostanem.hme0 /etc/hosts file. Entries in these files were proper. If I am running the following command from root: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_sapre
5 Replies

8. Linux

ifconfig - information

Hi All, I need some info on ifconfig. ifconfig is available in Linux and Solaris. However the options available in Solaris is not there in Linux. 1. ifconfig -a == output is different in both OS. I am somewhat able to compare the output. But one thing I am not getting is after the flags... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] merging two files and writing to another file- solved

i have two files as file1: 1 2 3 file2: a b c and the output should be: file3: 1~a 2~b 3~c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
1 Replies

10. Solaris

IFCONFIG is available... sort of

So, I have this script that makes a call to ifconfig to pull the interface information and report it. When I log on to the machine the script works just fine. But, if I'm on a remote machine and I make a call like this. ssh user@server ./script.bash I get an error saying that the IFCONFIG command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Binary Buddha
9 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)