Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DavidMax
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DavidMax Post 302704783 by DavidMax on Sunday 23rd of September 2012 07:57:20 AM
Old 09-23-2012
DavidMax

Hi,
I make effort to configure wireless connection to the internet on my Slackware box. I have a possibility to connect to internet with Linux (Slackware) but with usage of ethernet cable.
It seems that my wireless interface has name eth0 (iwconfig gives infos like unassociated, ESSID: (...), Nickname: (...), Mode: Managed; for eth1 it gives "no wireless extensions"). I have tried to use command iwconifg eth0 essid myessid and then dhcpcd eth0 but the effect is that it returns that waiting was timed out.
Are about information enough to claim that a network card is detected? If no, how I could do that?
What could be a reason for which broadcasting fails?
SSID is only password-like thing which should be set properly? On my modem there are given MAC address, WPA key and SSID.
My network card:
Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection
Network Card 1394
Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Ethernet NIC

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with that problem.
Greetings.

WIRELESS(7)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       WIRELESS(7)

NAME
wireless - Wireless Tools and Wireless Extensions SYNOPSIS
iwconfig iwpriv -a DESCRIPTION
The Wireless Extensions is an API allowing you manipulate Wireless LAN networking interfaces. It is composed of a variety of tools and configuration files. It is documented in more detail in the Linux Wireless LAN Howto. The Wireless Tools are used to change the configuration of wireless LAN networking interfaces on the fly, to get their current configura- tion, to get statistics and diagnose them. They are described in their own man page, see below for references. Wireless configuration is specific to each Linux distribution. This man page will contain in the future the configuration procedure for a few common distributions. For the time being, check the file DISTRIBUTIONS.txt included with the Wireless Tools package. DEBIAN 3.0 In Debian 3.0 (and later) you can configure wireless LAN networking devices using the network configuration tool ifupdown(8). File : /etc/network/interfaces Form : wireless-<function> <value> wireless-essid Home wireless-mode Ad-Hoc See also : /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools /usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian SuSE 8.0 SuSE 8.0 (and later) has integrated wireless configuration in their network scripts. Tool : Yast2 File : /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-* Form : WIRELESS_<function>=<value> WIRELESS_ESSID="Home" WIRELESS_MODE=Ad-Hoc See also : man ifup info scpm ORIGINAL PCMCIA SCRIPTS
If you are using the original configuration scripts from the Pcmcia package, you can use this method. File : /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts Form : *,*,*,*) ESSID="Home" MODE="Ad-Hoc" ;; See also : /etc/pcmcia/wireless File PCMCIA.txt part of Wireless Tools package AUTHOR
Jean Tourrilhes - jt@hpl.hp.com http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8), iwevent(8). wireless-tools 4 March 2004 WIRELESS(7)