Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Process running but not listening Post 302704633 by abohmeed on Saturday 22nd of September 2012 03:24:46 PM
Old 09-22-2012
Process running but not listening

Hello guys
I am experiencing a very strange behavior on one of our AIX servers. We have an application with several processes that listen on several port numbers. Sometimes we receive complains that people cannot connect to the server on a specific port that is used by one the application processes. When we check for the process status we can see that the process is up and running and everything is ok. But when we run
Code:
netstat -an | grep 1234

where 1234 is (for example) the port number, we don't find the port in the list of the listening ports.
The obvious solution is to kill and restart the process. Well this doesn't always solve the problem as sometimes it stays that way even after restarting it and stays for a few minutes before listening.
Now the question is: what could possibly cause an application in AIX to be running but not listening on the port where it should be listening?
Does the existence of too many concurrent connections to the same port cause this behavior?
Thanks a lot in advance and I appreciate any help from your side.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a dummy process of a process already running?

Hi Everybody, I want to create a shell script named as say "jip" and it is runned. And i want that when i do ps + grep for the process than this jip should be shown as process. Infact there might be process with name jip which is already running. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shambhu
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What prot is a process listening on?

Hi, Bit of a newbie question . . . How can I detrimine what TCP port a particular process is listening on? TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Le Badger
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

4. Red Hat

No process ID for listening ports

How can I have ports that are listening without processes being associated with them? root@ldv002 # netstat -ltnup Active Internet connections (only servers) Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name tcp 0 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padow
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How a process can check if a particular process is running on different machine?

I have process1 running on one machine and generating some log file. Now another process which can be launched on any machine wants to know if process1 is running or not and also in case it is running it wants to stream the logs file generated by process1 on terminal from which process2 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhnsit2001
2 Replies

7. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
UPSCLI_SPLITADDR(3)						    NUT Manual						       UPSCLI_SPLITADDR(3)

NAME
upscli_splitaddr - split a listening address into its components SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_splitaddr(const char *buf, char **hostname, int *port) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_splitaddr() function takes a pointer to the raw UPS definition buf and returns pointers to dynamically allocated memory in upsname and hostname. It also copies the port number into port. FORMATTING
A listening address definition is specified according to this format: <hostname>[:<port>] Definitions without an explicit port value receive the default value of 3493. MEMORY USAGE
You must free(3) the pointer hostname when you are done with it to avoid memory leaks. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_splitaddr() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
upscli_fd(3), upscli_get(3), upscli_readline(3), upscli_sendline(3), upscli_splitname(3), upscli_ssl(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_SPLITADDR(3)