Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Average of a column in multiple files Post 302704477 by radoulov on Friday 21st of September 2012 04:27:11 PM
Old 09-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
That's system-dependent, not awk-dependent. If you install gawk on a foreign system, that won't increase the system's maximum-open-files limit.
Sorry for not being clear. Some awk implementations have their own (rather low) open files limits:

Code:
bash-2.03$ uname -s
SunOS
bash-2.03$ ulimit -n
bash-2.03$ awk '{ for (i = 0; ++i <= 1000;) print > i }' /etc/issue
awk: too many output files 10
 record number 1
bash-2.03$ nawk '{ for (i = 0; ++i <= 1000;) print > i }' /etc/issue
nawk: 21 makes too many open files
 input record number 1, file /etc/issue
 source line number 1
bash-2.03$ /usr/xpg4/bin/awk '{ for (i = 0; ++i <= 1000;) print > i }' /etc/issue
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk: line 0 (NR=1): output file "253": Too many open files

This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average of elements throught multiple files

Hi, I got a lot of files looking like this: 1 0.5 6 All together there are ard 1'000'000 lines in each of the ard 100 files. I want to build the average for every line, and write the result to a new file. The averaging should start at a specific line, here for example at line... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chillmaster
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in extracting multiple files and taking average at same time

Hi, I have 20 files which have respective 50 lines with different values. I would like to process each line of the 50 lines in these 20 files one at a time and do an average of 3rd field ($3) of these 20 files. This will be output to an output file. Instead of using join to generate whole... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing average values from multiple text files

Hi, first, I have searched in the forum for this, but I could not find the right answer. (There were some similar threads, but I was not sure how to adapt the ideas.) Anyway, I have a quite natural problem: Given are several text files. All files contain the same number of lines and the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbredereck
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Computing average and standard deviation from multiple text files

Hello there, I found an elegant solution to computing average values from multiple text files awk '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++){if ($i!~"n/a"){a+=$i}else{b++}}}END{for (i=1;i<=FNR;i++){for (j=1;j<=NF;j++){printf (a/(3-b))((b>0)?"~"b" ":" ")};printf "\n"}}' file1 file2 file3 I tried to modify... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charmmilein
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column extraction from multiple files to multiple files

I have roughly ~30 .txt files in a directory which all have unique names. These files all contain text arranged in columns separated by whitespace (example file: [#YY MM DD hh mm WDIR WSPD GST WVHT DPD APD MWD PRES ATMP WTMP DEWP VIS TIDE #yr mo dy hr mn degT m/s m/s m sec ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aozgaa
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the average of a column based on the value of another column

Hi, I would like to calculate the average of column 'y' based on the value of column 'pos'. For example, here is file1 id pos y c 11 1 220 aa 11 4333 207 f 11 5333 112 ee 11 11116 305 e 11 11117 310 r 11 22228 781 gg 11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackken007
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check first column - average second column based on a condition

Hi, My input file Gene1 1 Gene1 2 Gene1 3 Gene1 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 4 Gene2 8 Gene3 9 Gene3 9 Gene4 0 Condition: If the first column matches, then look in the second column. If there is a value of zero in the second column, then don't consider that record while averaging. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match first two columns and average third from multiple files

I have the following format of input from multiple files File 1 24.01 -81.01 1.0 24.02 -81.02 5.0 24.03 -81.03 0.0 File 2 24.01 -81.01 2.0 24.02 -81.02 -5.0 24.03 -81.03 10.0 I need to scan through the files and when the first 2 columns match I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select multiple column from multiple files

Hi Friends, $ cat test1.txt emeka:1438 shelley:1439 dmeyer:1440 kurtarn:1441 abdul:1442 $ cat test2.txt 1:a 2:b 3:c 4:d $ cat test3.txt cat:dog:bat man:hot:cold (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy a column of multiple files and paste into new excel file (next to column)?

I have data of an excel files as given below, file1 org1_1 1 1 2.5 100 org1_2 1 2 5.5 98 org1_3 1 3 7.2 88 file2 org2_1 1 1 2.5 100 org2_2 1 2 5.5 56 org2_3 1 3 7.2 70 I have multiple excel files as above shown. I have to copy column 1, column 4 and paste into a new excel file as... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
26 Replies
File::stat(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   File::stat(3pm)

NAME
File::stat - by-name interface to Perl's built-in stat() functions SYNOPSIS
use File::stat; $st = stat($file) or die "No $file: $!"; if ( ($st->mode & 0111) && $st->nlink > 1) ) { print "$file is executable with lotsa links "; } use File::stat qw(:FIELDS); stat($file) or die "No $file: $!"; if ( ($st_mode & 0111) && $st_nlink > 1) ) { print "$file is executable with lotsa links "; } DESCRIPTION
This module's default exports override the core stat() and lstat() functions, replacing them with versions that return "File::stat" objects. This object has methods that return the similarly named structure field name from the stat(2) function; namely, dev, ino, mode, nlink, uid, gid, rdev, size, atime, mtime, ctime, blksize, and blocks. You may also import all the structure fields directly into your namespace as regular variables using the :FIELDS import tag. (Note that this still overrides your stat() and lstat() functions.) Access these fields as variables named with a preceding "st_" in front their method names. Thus, "$stat_obj->dev()" corresponds to $st_dev if you import the fields. To access this functionality without the core overrides, pass the "use" an empty import list, and then access function functions with their full qualified names. On the other hand, the built-ins are still available via the "CORE::" pseudo-package. BUGS
As of Perl 5.8.0 after using this module you cannot use the implicit $_ or the special filehandle "_" with stat() or lstat(), trying to do so leads into strange errors. The workaround is for $_ to be explicit my $stat_obj = stat $_; and for "_" to explicitly populate the object using the unexported and undocumented populate() function with CORE::stat(): my $stat_obj = File::stat::populate(CORE::stat(_)); NOTE
While this class is currently implemented using the Class::Struct module to build a struct-like class, you shouldn't rely upon this. AUTHOR
Tom Christiansen perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 File::stat(3pm)