Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using a variable as a for loop expression Post 302704363 by jbondhus on Friday 21st of September 2012 12:45:51 PM
Old 09-21-2012
Code:
((n=$north; n>=1; n--))

is what $a is supposed to be. That way,
Code:
for ${a}

actually should be
Code:
for ((n=$north; n>=1; n--))

This function has to run multiple times in slightly different ways. Normal commands and command options can easily be written as variables, but I'm not sure whether it's possible to do that for a for loop's expression.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression using a variable

hello, I use AIX with ISM PILOT, I want to match something with a varible like this : $variable = 10 #this variable is the number of the job "$variable STARTED" # the pattern how can use this variable to match it with the word STARTED Tanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: barribar
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sh] While loop -> Expression recursion level exceeded

Hi! I wanted to use a while loop, like the one below, for checking words extracted by awk to terminate when a specific word appears. Unfortunately whenever I put my code inside the loop I get an error "Expression recursion level exceeded". What does it mean? What recursion? I don't have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigne an expression to a variable

I hope this is not a duplicate thread, but i didn't find anything similar... I had this script: filename1=/swkgr/bin/risk/GF2KGR/arch/GF2KGR_M_ filename2=/swkgr/bin/risk/GF2KGR/arch/GF2KGR_D_ day='date +%m%d' echo $filename1$day echo $filename2$day and i want this output: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raffaelesergi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regular expression in for loop

Hi, i want to use regular expression in a for loop like this. for var in "/Mar/2010" do echo "Usage for the date $var" -----and want to grep $var partten from a file-------- done and it is not working. I am new to shell scripting, any one has any idea how to do it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarakant
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable expression and while

hi, i'm reading a file "LISTE_FILE" like : # $LOGCOM * 5 $PRCCOM * 10 and i want to use the file with "while" and having the fields splitted into new variables for treatment : while read LINE do # Ignorer les commentaires un # en premiere position if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning value of a expression to a variable

eval echo \$tts_space_name$count i m getting output of this stmnt as 'TBS_ADOX_EXTR3' but, I m not able to assign this value to a variable . i tried export j=`eval echo \$tts_space_name$count` eval j= `eval echo \$tts_space_name$count` and when i do echo $j ... i get o/p as 1 or 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gl@)!aTor
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to execute a expression in a variable

Hi i tried to execute a below script but it is giving execution error rec=ABC,1234,55.00 Colno=2 coldel=, fd='"'$coldel'"' fprint="'"'{print$'$colno'}'"'" colsyn=`echo "echo "$rec "| awk -F"$fd $fprint` echo column syntax is $colsyn colrec=`colsyn` echo column is $colrec (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression as a variable

I'm trying to use a series of regular expressions as variables but can't get it to behave properly. You can see below what I'm trying to do. Here with lowercase a-z and the same with uppercase, numbers 0-9 and again with a set of special characters, without having to type out every single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
3 Replies
for(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    for(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
for - ``For'' loop SYNOPSIS
for start test next body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
For is a looping command, similar in structure to the C for statement. The start, next, and body arguments must be Tcl command strings, and test is an expression string. The for command first invokes the Tcl interpreter to execute start. Then it repeatedly evaluates test as an expression; if the result is non-zero it invokes the Tcl interpreter on body, then invokes the Tcl interpreter on next, then repeats the loop. The command terminates when test evaluates to 0. If a continue command is invoked within body then any remaining commands in the current execution of body are skipped; processing continues by invoking the Tcl interpreter on next, then evaluating test, and so on. If a break command is invoked within body or next, then the for command will return immediately. The operation of break and continue are similar to the corresponding statements in C. For returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the for command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break, continue, foreach, while KEYWORDS
for, iteration, looping Tcl for(n)