Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script for adding page number before page breaks Post 302704117 by antman on Friday 21st of September 2012 04:29:11 AM
Old 09-21-2012
[solved] script for adding page number before page breaks

Hi,
If there is an expert that can help:

I have many txt files that are produced from pdftotext that include page breaks the page breaks seem to be unix style hex 0C.
I want to add page numbers before each page break as in : Page XXXX

Regards antman

Last edited by antman; 09-21-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: solved

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert page breaks into .csv file

I have large .csv files that I need to get page breaks into. I am taking comma delimited files of over a million records and putting them into a pdf file. Is there a way, using sed or otherwise, to insert some type of page break character into my file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: welsht
2 Replies

2. Programming

Page Breaks

Hi, I have a program in Pro*c when I run it I have no problem with the output but when it runs via the at command and except the output has page breaks every 66 lines. I don't want those page breaks to be in the output. any idea? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama71
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding a man page

I was wonderiong if ther is a way for a user to add a man page specific to thier account. similar to copying the .1 or .1.gz to /usr/share/man/man1 "cp *.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1". Except for using another folder as I don't have access to /usr/share/man/man1. I would think that this might involve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacob358
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove page breaks from a flat file???

Hi All, I get a flat file with its last field data splitting onto a new line.I got this program from Vgersh which when run would cancatenate the split data back to the end of the previous records.But this program fails when it encounters a page break between the split data and the previous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on page breaks

Hi, I am new to Unix (AIX). I have a header (in a text file) that needs to be wrtitten on all the pages of a result file (text file). After the header is written, data needs to be read from a file A(text file) and inserted to the result file. If the number of lines reaches 80 in a page, page... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simhasuri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input a number in a web page and pass to a script?

I am working on an embedded linux router and trying to make a webpage where the user can input a desired number of CPE and have a script update that number on the router. I have a CLI where I can log in and type the following to change that number echo "20">/proc/net/dbrctl/maxcpe which then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BobTheBulldog
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display command output page per page

Good afternoon, I wonder how i could use unix commands to ease the reading of long command result output ? like the "php -i" or any other command that returns a long answer. I could not find the right terms to Google it or search the forum. Therefore I bother you with this question. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mat_k
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print multiple copies page by page using lp command

Hi I have a pdf file that is being generated using the rwrun command in the shell script. I then have the lp command in the shell script to print the same pdf file. Suppose there are 4 pages in the pdf file , I need to print 2 copies of the first page, 2 copies of the second page , then 2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Page number with total number of pages, EG Page 1 of 5

So I've worked how to add page numbers based on regex. It's using the footer text. How do we get the total amount added so we have page number with the total number of pages? Desired output: Page No:1 of 5 Thanks in advance. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugar
15 Replies
pdftotext(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pdftotext(1)

NAME
pdftotext - Portable Document Format (PDF) to text converter (version 3.00) SYNOPSIS
pdftotext [options] [PDF-file [text-file]] DESCRIPTION
Pdftotext converts Portable Document Format (PDF) files to plain text. Pdftotext reads the PDF file, PDF-file, and writes a text file, text-file. If text-file is not specified, pdftotext converts file.pdf to file.txt. If text-file is '-', the text is sent to stdout. OPTIONS
-f number Specifies the first page to convert. -l number Specifies the last page to convert. -r number Specifies the resolution, in DPI. The default is 72 DPI. -x number Specifies the x-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -y number Specifies the y-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -W number Specifies the width of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -H number Specifies the height of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -layout Maintain (as best as possible) the original physical layout of the text. The default is to 'undo' physical layout (columns, hyphen- ation, etc.) and output the text in reading order. -raw Keep the text in content stream order. This is a hack which often "undoes" column formatting, etc. Use of raw mode is no longer recommended. -htmlmeta Generate a simple HTML file, including the meta information. This simply wraps the text in <pre> and </pre> and prepends the meta headers. -enc encoding-name Sets the encoding to use for text output. This defaults to "UTF-8". -listenc Lits the available encodings -eol unix | dos | mac Sets the end-of-line convention to use for text output. -nopgbrk Don't insert page breaks (form feed characters) between pages. -opw password Specify the owner password for the PDF file. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions. -upw password Specify the user password for the PDF file. -q Don't print any messages or errors. -v Print copyright and version information. -h Print usage information. (-help and --help are equivalent.) BUGS
Some PDF files contain fonts whose encodings have been mangled beyond recognition. There is no way (short of OCR) to extract text from these files. EXIT CODES
The Xpdf tools use the following exit codes: 0 No error. 1 Error opening a PDF file. 2 Error opening an output file. 3 Error related to PDF permissions. 99 Other error. AUTHOR
The pdftotext software and documentation are copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC. SEE ALSO
pdftops(1), pdfinfo(1), pdffonts(1), pdftoppm(1), pdfimages(1), 22 January 2004 pdftotext(1)