Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk issue expanding variables in ksh script Post 302704007 by delugeag on Thursday 20th of September 2012 06:11:39 PM
Old 09-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza-o
Code:
#set 2 variables below
JOBNAME=abc_def
AUTO=A12

#Below line creates a variable using comma as a field separator
DESC=`/bin/awk -F',' "/^$JOBNAME/" 
/apps/test/scripts/library/desc.output.$AUTO`

maybe it's the newline between `` Try with a \

Code:
 DESC=`/bin/awk -F',' "/^$JOBNAME/" \
/apps/test/scripts/library/desc.output.$AUTO`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to awk from ksh script

I'm trying to write a ksh script that uses awk, but I want to pass variables to awk. For example (not working): if ];then searchstr=$1 lsof -i | awk '{if($9~/SEARCHSTR/) print $2} SEARCHSTR=$searchstr' else echo "usage: $0 <search string>" fi I tried several options. Is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Expanding Variables in User Input

If have var='$variable' how can I expand $variable. I have tried many thing like duble quotes/braces etc, but nothing worked. I need the solution ASAP. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bsk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing ksh variables from awk

hi everybody! i am running this ksh script for replacing a set of strings by another set of new ones. i am getting both these from a file. also, the strings that i want to replace, are sub-strings(can occur more than once in each chunk) in a big chunk of data that i have bulk-copied(bcp utility)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti wagh
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33

Hi, The following code finds the line containing fruits in test.txt and replaces instances of apple with banana. ed -s test.txt <<< $'/fruits/s/apple/banana/g\nw' What I want to do is put variables in the place of fruits, apple and banana. I have tried replacing ' with " to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script

Hi There, I am writing a ksh script which assigns variable values from file "A" and passes that variables to file "B". While passing the parameters an additional "$" sign is being assigned to awk -v option. Could any one help me with this please. #!/bin/ksh head -1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script problem - Variables Causing Issue

can someone please explain to me what i'm doing wrong with this code: WELT=$(awk '(($1 ~ "^${caag}$") || ($2 ~ "^${caag}$"))' /tmp/Compare.TEXT) when run from the command line, it works. but it seems to be having a problem doing the comparison when variables are involved. i tested from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Issue with Variables from awk

Greetings all, Disclaimer: I'm a novice and always welcome best practices as I'm learning. File example: 100,1.1.1.1,1.1.1.2,10.10.10.1,172.16.1.10,172.16.1.20 101,1.1.2.1,1.1.2.2,10.10.20.1,172.16.2.10,172.16.2.20 102,1.1.3.1,1.1.3.2,10.10.30.1,172.16.3.10,172.16.3.20 ...and so on ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjrupp
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible ksh93 Bug Expanding Variables?

My OS is Linux (kernel 4.08.something) and AIX (7100-04-01-1543), the used ksh versions are: ksh88: Version M-11/16/88f (AIX) ksh93: Version M 93t+ 2009-05-01 (AIX), Version M 93u (Linux) When writing a parser for stanza files in ksh i encountered a rather strange behavior. Here is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)