Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator Post 302703629 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 20th of September 2012 05:44:15 AM
Old 09-20-2012
While ability to read manuals is essential, experience of what setting is responsible for what particular form of flaky behaviour you are witnessing is also vital. (Sendmail is a "special" case as it requires "experience" to configure).

For a junior position a good knowledge of $DAEMON is probably little more than its existence, default ports, configuration files and their format and the resources you'd expect it to use under a known load (eg. is 2G memory use reasonable for the service while netstat shows 200 open connections to it on $PORT or should we be looking at that?)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix/linux books

hey, i am a pretty good linux/unix user but i would like to discover the full capabilities of linux/unix. i have "unix unleashed , by sams" any other books/websites reccomendations. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamza11050
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix certified person locator

I need to locate a specific person who is certified in Unix. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlwscope
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

im very new to unix/linux can someone tell me the best books to read...

im very new to unix/linux operating system and having a hard time understanding the command ( grep, ls, echo and variables) is there any book that is simple to understand... after taking this unix/linux operating system i need to take unix operating system..can someone help me please!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2071fox
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator

Hello! I have seen similar questions asked about how to become a system administrator. Most would say experience is more important than just getting a certificate and even a degree. However, I haven't found a good information how to build experience from a newbie to entry-level systems... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideburn
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies
Config::Model::CursesUI(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Config::Model::CursesUI(3pm)

NAME
Config::Model::CursesUI - Curses interface to edit config data SYNOPSIS
use Config::Model ; use Config::Model::CursesUI ; my $model = Config::Model -> new ; my $inst = $model->instance (root_class_name => 'XXX', instance_name => 'yyy'); # create dialog my $dialog = Config::Model::CursesUI-> new ( experience => 'beginner', # or 'advanced' ) ; # start never returns $dialog->start($model) ; DESCRIPTION
This class provides a Curses::UI interface to configuration data managed by Config::Model. IMPORTANT: Once the CursesUI object is created, STDOUT and STDERR are managed by the Curses interface, so all print and warn will not work as expected. CONSTRUCTOR
The constructor accepts the following parameters: experience Specifies the experience level of the user (default: "beginner"). The experience can be "master advanced beginner". load Subroutine ref containing the code to load the configuration data from the configuration files. This may overrides loading mechanism specified in the model with Config::Model::AutoRead. This sub is called without any arguments. store Subroutine ref containing the code to store the configuration data in the configuration files. This may overrides writing mechanism specified in the model with Config::Model::AutoRead. This sub is called without any arguments. AUTHOR
Dominique Dumont, (ddumont at cpan dot org) LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2009,2011 Dominique Dumont. This file is part of Config-Model. Config-Model is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Config-Model is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser Public License along with Config-Model; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA SEE ALSO
Config::Model, Config::Model::ObjTreeScanner, Curses::UI, Curses perl v5.10.1 2011-03-04 Config::Model::CursesUI(3pm)