Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator Post 302703603 by DavidMax on Thursday 20th of September 2012 04:08:46 AM
Old 09-20-2012
Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator

Hi,
I would like to become Linux/Unix administrator. Of course I am aware that it is practically impossible to get that job immediately and in the beginning it will be Junior position or 2nd level of technical support.
But I would like to ask: how in-depth knowledge about daemons such like Apache, Sendmail, BIND, Samba should I have? Do you think that a description which is included in book "Unix Administration Handbook" is enough to apply for entry-level position?
I enjoy with tools such like vi, bash, awk etc. and I can learn it easily.
But I am not sure about how I should interpret sentences "good knowledge of Apache, Sendmail, ..." in job offers because I think that every has very specific requirements about how a given configuration should look so in my opinion it is more matter of ability to use manuals and documentation than a matter of knowledge of tools itself.

Greetings!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix/linux books

hey, i am a pretty good linux/unix user but i would like to discover the full capabilities of linux/unix. i have "unix unleashed , by sams" any other books/websites reccomendations. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamza11050
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix certified person locator

I need to locate a specific person who is certified in Unix. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlwscope
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

im very new to unix/linux can someone tell me the best books to read...

im very new to unix/linux operating system and having a hard time understanding the command ( grep, ls, echo and variables) is there any book that is simple to understand... after taking this unix/linux operating system i need to take unix operating system..can someone help me please!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2071fox
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator

Hello! I have seen similar questions asked about how to become a system administrator. Most would say experience is more important than just getting a certificate and even a degree. However, I haven't found a good information how to build experience from a newbie to entry-level systems... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideburn
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies
Apache::Session::Informix(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Apache::Session::Informix(3pm)

NAME
Apache::Session::Informix - An implementation of Apache::Session SYNOPSIS
use Apache::Session::Informix; #if you want Apache::Session to open new DB handles: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Informix', $id, { DataSource => 'dbi:Informix:sessions', UserName => $db_user, Password => $db_pass, Commit => 1 }; #or, if your handles are already opened: tie %hash, 'Apache::Session::Informix', $id, { Handle => $dbh, Commit => 1 }; DESCRIPTION
This module is an implementation of Apache::Session. It uses the Informix backing store and no locking. See the example, and the documentation for Apache::Session::Store::Informix for more details. USAGE
The special Apache::Session argument for this module is Commit. You MUST provide the Commit argument, which instructs this module to either commit the transaction when it is finished, or to simply do nothing. This feature is provided so that this module will not have adverse interactions with your local transaction policy, nor your local database handle caching policy. The argument is mandatory in order to make you think about this problem. This module also respects the LongReadLen argument, which specifies the maximum size of the session object. If not specified, the default maximum is 8 KB. AUTHOR
This module was written by Jeffrey William Baker <jwbaker@acm.org>. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session::File, Apache::Session::Flex, Apache::Session::DB_File, Apache::Session::Postgres, Apache::Session perl v5.10.1 2010-10-18 Apache::Session::Informix(3pm)