Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris modifying date and time and time zone on solaris 5.10 with (redundant server) veritas Post 302703525 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 20th of September 2012 12:28:13 AM
Old 09-20-2012
How about both in sync with your time server?

How to Configure Network Time Protocol (NTP) (Sun Cluster Software Installation Guide for Solaris OS)

Otherwise make the active cluster member the time server for the standby.

An aside: it sounds like you are going to run the cluster "outside time and date". Meaning not synced to a real time/date server.
This is a bad idea. Please tell us what you are trying to do, not how you decided to do it. UNIX works on the presumption that the kernel clock is running UTC time. Example: This means filetimes are flat out wrong, so moving files off or onto the system from sources outside the cluster can create future dated files. e.g., Backup tape library systems like Simpana have issues with this.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-20-2012 at 01:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time zone and cron solaris 9

There is a posting similar to this but it does not list what resolved the issue. When I log into the server, it shows the correct timezone (edt) but when jobs run from cron, it shows GMT. Unix admin is looking for a solution. I am looking for a short term workaround to get the jobs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Last Modified Time across Time Zone

Hi, I'm new to shell script programming, I only have Java programming background. I'm writing a shell script to do file synchronization between 2 machines that located at different time zone area. Both machine were set its time zone according to its geographical location (Eg: server is at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: python
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert date time to epoch time in solaris

Hi, Is there any easy way to convert date time(stored in shell variable ) to epoch time in solaris box? As +%s is working on linux but not on solaris, also -d option is not working. Any suggestion please? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshuman0507
6 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Date comparison with 'string date having slashes and time zone' in Bash only

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have standard web server log file. It contains different columns (like IP address, request result code, request type etc) including a date column with the format . I have developed a log analysis command line utility that displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TariqYousaf
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting date output based on time zone

Hi, We have a server in US and hence while the command "date" is given it gives the output in EDT. If I want the date output in MET, how can I get it. Please let me know how I could do it in the script which is ksh. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
1 Replies

6. AIX

Time Zone for a User Different From Server Time

Hi, A server runs on EDT. Can I set a user with time-zone GMT without changing the server time? regards, Roshni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Server Date and Time

Hi, I am trying to change server date and time for testing purposes but every time i change the date and time it gets switched back to system date and time after half an hour or so. Is there a way to change the server date and time temporarily? My guess is that the server time is in sync with time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahmad155
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Time Change for a particular target Zone

Hi Summary: - Script will take 2 arguments - Argument 1: Date/Time value in a particular format - Argument 2: TimeZone value Examples: Argument 1: a. "May 11, 2012 08:00:00 AM" b. "Dec 21, 2012 12:21:12 PM" c. "Oct 2, 2012 05:00:00 PM" Argument 2: a. MT or MST or MDT b. ET c.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Time Zone Conversion (backwards of what I want)

I am trying to convert local time to time in Ireland. Instead it is going the opposite direction (taking the local time as it if were in Ireland and displaying that the time would be here). $ echo "$TZ"; date; date --date='TZ="Europe/Dublin" '"$(date)" America/Phoenix Mon, Apr 13, 2015... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
7 Replies
CHRONY(1)							   User's Manual							 CHRONY(1)

NAME
chrony - programs for keeping computer clocks accurate SYNOPSIS
chronyc [OPTIONS] chronyd [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
chrony is a pair of programs for keeping computer clocks accurate. chronyd is a background (daemon) program and chronyc is a command-line interface to it. Time reference sources for chronyd can be RFC1305 NTP servers, human (via keyboard and chronyc), or the computer's real- time clock at boot time (Linux only). chronyd can determine the rate at which the computer gains or loses time and compensate for it while no external reference is present. Its use of NTP servers can be switched on and off (through chronyc) to support computers with dial- up/intermittent access to the Internet, and it can also act as an RFC1305-compatible NTP server. USAGE
chronyc is a command-line interface program which can be used to monitor chronyd's performance and to change various operating parameters whilst it is running. chronyd's main function is to obtain measurements of the true (UTC) time from one of several sources, and correct the system clock accord- ingly. It also works out the rate at which the system clock gains or loses time and uses this information to keep it accurate between mea- surements from the reference. The reference time can be derived from either Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers, reference clocks, or wristwatch-and-keyboard (via chronyc). The main source of information about the Network Time Protocol is http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp. It is designed so that it can work on computers which only have intermittent access to reference sources, for example computers which use a dial-up account to access the Internet. Of course, it will work on computers with permanent connections too. In addition, for Linux 2.0.x (for x >= 32) or 2.2 onwards, chronyd can monitor the system's real time clock performance, so the system can maintain accurate time even across reboots. Typical accuracies available between 2 machines are On an ethernet LAN : 100-200 microseconds, often much better On a V32bis dial-up modem connection : 10's of milliseconds (from one session to the next) With a good reference clock the accuracy can reach one microsecond. chronyd can also operate as an RFC1305-compatible NTP server and peer. SEE ALSO
chronyc(1), chrony(1) http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/ AUTHOR
Richard Curnow <rc@rc0.org.uk> This man-page was written by Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> as part of "The Missing Man Pages Project". Please see http://www.netmeister.org/misc/m2p2/index.html for details. The complete chrony documentation is supplied in texinfo format. chrony December 04, 2009 CHRONY(1)