Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count Post 302703261 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of September 2012 02:04:16 PM
Old 09-19-2012
I can't give you code that I know for a fact will work given the text is so huge that it's too many elements for an array.

If it's large to the point that you're trying to cram things in two-by-two into multiple shell variables to make it fit, it's a subtle hint, written in mile-high flashing neon letters, that it's a bad idea to try and load enormous amounts of text into a shell variable. You should approach the problem from another direction instead of trying to load it whole. That's how shell code usually works. It also makes for code that works in other shells, not just yours. Someone who wrote this for BASH would not have your problem and might not imagine it could ever cause you trouble...

So again, why do you want it in an array? What are you actually trying to do? Not the way you're hellbent on doing so -- the actual goal of having the data in an array.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH split string into variables

Hello, I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped. I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd_2b
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH] Split string into array

Hi, Is there any way to convert a string into an array in KSH? In other words I want to split the string like this: STRING="one two three four" into an array of 4 values splitting on white space. The array should be similar to the one that would be created with the following command: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the String based on condition?

hi , I have a String str="/opt/ibm/lotus/ibw/latest" or ="/opt/lotus/ibw/latest" this value is dynamic..I want to split this string into 2 strings 1. /opt/ibm/lotus(/opt/lotus) this string must ends with "lotus" 2./ibw/latest can any body help me on this? Regards, sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file based on group count

Hi, can some one please help me to split the file based on groups. like in the below scenario x indicates the begining of the group and the file should be split each with 2 groups below there are 10 groups it should create 5 files. could you please help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A command to split a file into two based on a string

Hello What command can i use to split a tab delimited txt file into two files base on the occurrence of a string my file name is EDIT.txt The content of file is below XX 1234 PROCEDURES XY 1634 PROCEDURES XM 1245 CODES XZ 1256 CODES It has more than a million record If there is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: madrazzii
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Split File based on String?

hi , The scenario is like this, i have a large text files (max 5MB , about 5000 file per day ), Inside almost each line of this file there is a tag 3100.2.22.1 (represent Call_Type) , i need to generate many filess , each one with distinct (3100.2.22.1 Call_Type ) , and one more file to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - split data based on the count

Greetings Experts, I am generating a validation query through awk and facing an issue, which I need to overcome by splitting the data based on the pattern matching count in the value of an array. File1 -- Table11@column1@date@Table21@column1@varchar(10)@d;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)