Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Old crontab file reflected after server reboot Post 302703019 by vbe on Wednesday 19th of September 2012 09:08:25 AM
Old 09-19-2012
Exactly: when a server reboots, it reloads what is in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ You should never leave anything unused in there... It is not to say you should delete without taking any precaution... I create a .save (as root and 750) directory one level above and mv what is unwanted in .save, the same I historize the cron files also in case of corruption or disagreement with production e.g. How come this job never finish when it used to? If you can prove someone changed the schedule, your out of trouble...
This is important to be done when you are going through a upgrade/update process where you risk rebooting a few times during one-two days : MOVE all cron file out or /var/spool/cron/crontabs while in maintenance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Server Reboot Alert

I want to get an email alert from a cronjob when a server got rebooted unexpectedly. Please help. Thanks! :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angloi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

server reboot

hi all, :) for a reboot of sun box for patch installation i would like to know where do the reboot logs apart from /var/adm/messages and patch run messages would be available, i would like to know the sequence of messages logged in the file like requesting the users to log out sending a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

3. AIX

IP setting changes after server reboot

I've recently changed my gateway setting using SMIT. Everything went fine except that the gateway setting kept reverting back to the old one everytime I reboot the server. I'm on AIX 5.2 running p-Series. Thanks for any info. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dereklow
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Reboot the server through console

Hi All, I want to know the procedure like if server is down, i want to reboot the server through console ($rsc or $sc prompt).Could you please help me out. I would really appreciate your cooperation. thanks for understanding regards krishna (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CRONTAB does not run since reboot

Hi, we reboot our Linux server yesterday and since then (specialy last night) no job from crontab has run. Any idea ? What should I look for to investigate? Many thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. SCO

copy crontab file from backup server

Hi, I did a terrible mistake of issuing crontab -r command which deleted my table on a new installation. Is there any way i can transfer the table from an existing unix box. Regards, Joseph:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

when users ftp to server the timezone reflected is UTC but the server is set to TZ in localtime

Guys, Need your help coz my server runs in local time GMT +8, but when client use ftp and login, the resulting timestamp seen in each file is in UTC format. We need to set that the time should be the same as GMT +8 when in ftp session. I am using RHEL 5.3. root@]# ll total 1740... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shtobias
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What crontab is in effect after reboot

A basic cron question and I hope I explain it enough. If a person creates a file to use with cron and issues the followin command: crontab I understand this will set the cron entries to whatever is in . However, if we now edit the crontab with: crontab -e and save, how does cron... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niswonp
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Validate mountpoints on solaris server after server reboot

Hi, anyone please let us know how to write shell script to find the missing mountpoints after server reboot. i want to take the mountpount information before server reboot, and validate the mountpoints after server reboot if any missing.please let us know the shell script from begining to end as... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenkatReddy786
24 Replies

10. Red Hat

Server reboot

Hi, The server got rebooted and below messages can be seen in /var/log/messages Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: Call Trace: <IRQ> <ffffffff80167420>{__alloc_pages+796} Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: <ffffffff80182814>{kmem_getpages+106} <ffffffff80183c16>{fallback_alloc+304}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)