Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disabling sendmail
Operating Systems Solaris Disabling sendmail Post 302702001 by jlliagre on Monday 17th of September 2012 05:41:47 PM
Old 09-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
sendmail is usually started where all the system daemons are being fired up: have a look in the rc-scripts of your runlevel and/or "/etc/inittab".
rc scripts and run levels are being obsoleted with Solaris 10. sendmail is no more launched by /etc/init.d/sendmail but by an SMF service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebob
can anyone tell me how to disable sendmail on solaris 10?
You need to disable both the sendmail server and client services:
Code:
svcadm disable sendmail
svcadm disable sendmail-client

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling Telnet

How do you keep users from logging on while you do file maintenance? Is there a way to temporarily disable telnet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports Disabling

I will want to disable all the ports not needed in my UNIX. If I put a # sign at the beginning of the line of the port name I want to disable in /etc/services.... that's all????? Or I need to do anything else to disable a port???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrivas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling telnet

how do i disable the telnet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Disabling telnet

I am running solaris 9.. currently has telnet / ssh access.. Initially I just want to stop telnet access (but leave ftp open as some scripts etc still using this and need modification) As far as I know I just need to do the following: edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out: telnet ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling logrotate

Is there a way to disable log rotation? (just for wtmp) I'm looking in /etc/logrotate.conf and I checked the man page but didn't see any option to disable. Is it as simple as commenting out monthly and rotate lines? /var/log/wtmp { missingok # monthly create 0664 root utmp # ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling NIS

How do you disable a server, #1, from trying to use the NIS that is running on another server, #2? I would like the #1 server to just use the local etc/shadow file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
3 Replies

7. Solaris

disabling watchdog

hi, is it possible to disable the "hardware watchdog" on a V240 sol 10 server? and how to? this server freeze 9/10 during boot on this command...:mad: thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilik
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling POP3 service on Sendmail

Hi, I wish to disable POP3 services in sendmail and just use IMAP. I am running: Version 8.13.4. How do I go about doing this? According to the config file the Cyrus IMAP/POP3 server is being used so I am not sure how to go about configuring the config file to use only IMAP. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. Hardware

How disabling GPU?

Hi All I'm find out a way to disable the DGD: AMD Radeon HD 7470M on my Ubutu 16.04.2 LTS because radeon open source module is not capable to support this GPU and consequence the boot is very slow. I have tried serveral way with pci-stub.ids in the grub menu but not work. In general how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Fabio_79
11 Replies
MAILER.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    MAILER.CONF(5)

NAME
mailer.conf -- configuration file for mailwrapper(8) DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/mail/mailer.conf contains a series of lines of the form name program [arguments ...] The first word of each line is the name of a program invoking mailwrapper(8). (For example, on a typical system /usr/sbin/sendmail would be a symbolic link to mailwrapper(8), as would newaliases(1) and mailq(1). Thus, name might be ``sendmail'' or ``newaliases'' etc.) The second word of each line is the name of the program to actually execute when the first name is invoked. The further arguments, if any, are passed to the program, followed by the arguments mailwrapper(8) was called with. The file may also contain comment lines, denoted by a '#' mark in the first column of any line. FILES
/etc/mail/mailer.conf EXAMPLES
This example shows how to set up mailer.conf to invoke the traditional sendmail(8) program: # Execute the "real" sendmail program located in # /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail sendmail /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail send-mail /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail mailq /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail newaliases /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail This example shows how to invoke a sendmail-workalike like Postfix in place of sendmail(8): # Emulate sendmail using postfix sendmail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail send-mail /usr/local/sbin/sendmail mailq /usr/local/sbin/sendmail newaliases /usr/local/sbin/sendmail This example shows how to invoke a sendmail-workalike with Exim (from ports) in place of sendmail(8): # Emulate sendmail using exim sendmail /usr/local/sbin/exim send-mail /usr/local/sbin/exim mailq /usr/local/sbin/exim -bp newaliases /usr/bin/true rmail /usr/local/sbin/exim -i -oee This example shows the use of the mini_sendmail package from ports in place of sendmail(8). Note the use of additional arguments. # Send outgoing mail to a smart relay using mini_sendmail sendmail /usr/local/bin/mini_sendmail -srelayhost send-mail /usr/local/bin/mini_sendmail -srelayhost SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), mailwrapper(8), sendmail(8) postfix(1) (ports/mail/postfix), mini_sendmail(8) (ports/mail/mini_sendmail) HISTORY
mailer.conf appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the "behave dif- ferently if invoked with a different name" behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
October 8, 2010 BSD