Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disabling sendmail
Operating Systems Solaris Disabling sendmail Post 302701961 by bakunin on Monday 17th of September 2012 03:36:20 PM
Old 09-17-2012
sendmail is usually started where all the system daemons are being fired up: have a look in the rc-scripts of your runlevel and/or "/etc/inittab".

Disable it there. I don't know Solaris too well, but in AIX there is a super-daemon (System Resource Controller) with the ability to restart cored daemons - perhaps there is something similar in Solaris too, no? You may have to have a look at / change of its configuration too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling Telnet

How do you keep users from logging on while you do file maintenance? Is there a way to temporarily disable telnet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports Disabling

I will want to disable all the ports not needed in my UNIX. If I put a # sign at the beginning of the line of the port name I want to disable in /etc/services.... that's all????? Or I need to do anything else to disable a port???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrivas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling telnet

how do i disable the telnet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Disabling telnet

I am running solaris 9.. currently has telnet / ssh access.. Initially I just want to stop telnet access (but leave ftp open as some scripts etc still using this and need modification) As far as I know I just need to do the following: edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out: telnet ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling logrotate

Is there a way to disable log rotation? (just for wtmp) I'm looking in /etc/logrotate.conf and I checked the man page but didn't see any option to disable. Is it as simple as commenting out monthly and rotate lines? /var/log/wtmp { missingok # monthly create 0664 root utmp # ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling NIS

How do you disable a server, #1, from trying to use the NIS that is running on another server, #2? I would like the #1 server to just use the local etc/shadow file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
3 Replies

7. Solaris

disabling watchdog

hi, is it possible to disable the "hardware watchdog" on a V240 sol 10 server? and how to? this server freeze 9/10 during boot on this command...:mad: thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilik
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling POP3 service on Sendmail

Hi, I wish to disable POP3 services in sendmail and just use IMAP. I am running: Version 8.13.4. How do I go about doing this? According to the config file the Cyrus IMAP/POP3 server is being used so I am not sure how to go about configuring the config file to use only IMAP. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. Hardware

How disabling GPU?

Hi All I'm find out a way to disable the DGD: AMD Radeon HD 7470M on my Ubutu 16.04.2 LTS because radeon open source module is not capable to support this GPU and consequence the boot is very slow. I have tried serveral way with pci-stub.ids in the grub menu but not work. In general how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Fabio_79
11 Replies
mailstats(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      mailstats(8)

NAME
mailstats - Displays statistics about mail traffic SYNOPSIS
mailstats [-o] [-C cffile [-f stfile] FLAGS
Do not display the name of the mailer in the output. Use cffile as the name of the sendmail "cf" file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/send- mail.cf. Use stfile as the input statistics file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. DESCRIPTION
The mailstats command reads the information in the /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st file (or in the file specified with the -f flag), formats it, and writes it to standard output. Note also that you can change the location of the sendmail.st file by editing its pathname in the sendmail.cf file. EXAMPLES
The format of the information is shown in the following example, in which the first field (M) contains a number that indicates the position of that mailer in the sendmail.cf file, starting at 0 (zero). For example, the first mailer in the sendmail.cf file corresponds to the number 0 in the mailstats display, the second mailer corresponds to the number 1, and so on. Statistics from Thu Feb 17 11:20:01 2000 M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer 1 50 77K 1 3K 0 0 local 6 43 59K 58 99K 0 0 smtp ============================================================ T 93 136K 59 102K 0 0 The fields in the report have the following meanings: Indicates the position of the mailer in the sendmail.cf file. Indicates the number of messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of rejected messages. Indicates the number of discarded messages. Indicates the name of the mailer. If sendmail transmits mail directly to a file, such as the dead.letter file or an alias target, the message and byte counts are credited to the prog mailer, as defined in the sendmail.cf file. However, mailstats will still default to var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains system statistics Contains configuration information for sendmail RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: sendmail(8) delim off mailstats(8)