Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disabling sendmail
Operating Systems Solaris Disabling sendmail Post 302701961 by bakunin on Monday 17th of September 2012 03:36:20 PM
Old 09-17-2012
sendmail is usually started where all the system daemons are being fired up: have a look in the rc-scripts of your runlevel and/or "/etc/inittab".

Disable it there. I don't know Solaris too well, but in AIX there is a super-daemon (System Resource Controller) with the ability to restart cored daemons - perhaps there is something similar in Solaris too, no? You may have to have a look at / change of its configuration too.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling Telnet

How do you keep users from logging on while you do file maintenance? Is there a way to temporarily disable telnet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports Disabling

I will want to disable all the ports not needed in my UNIX. If I put a # sign at the beginning of the line of the port name I want to disable in /etc/services.... that's all????? Or I need to do anything else to disable a port???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrivas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling telnet

how do i disable the telnet (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Disabling telnet

I am running solaris 9.. currently has telnet / ssh access.. Initially I just want to stop telnet access (but leave ftp open as some scripts etc still using this and need modification) As far as I know I just need to do the following: edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out: telnet ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling logrotate

Is there a way to disable log rotation? (just for wtmp) I'm looking in /etc/logrotate.conf and I checked the man page but didn't see any option to disable. Is it as simple as commenting out monthly and rotate lines? /var/log/wtmp { missingok # monthly create 0664 root utmp # ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disabling NIS

How do you disable a server, #1, from trying to use the NIS that is running on another server, #2? I would like the #1 server to just use the local etc/shadow file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calamine
3 Replies

7. Solaris

disabling watchdog

hi, is it possible to disable the "hardware watchdog" on a V240 sol 10 server? and how to? this server freeze 9/10 during boot on this command...:mad: thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilik
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabling POP3 service on Sendmail

Hi, I wish to disable POP3 services in sendmail and just use IMAP. I am running: Version 8.13.4. How do I go about doing this? According to the config file the Cyrus IMAP/POP3 server is being used so I am not sure how to go about configuring the config file to use only IMAP. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

10. Hardware

How disabling GPU?

Hi All I'm find out a way to disable the DGD: AMD Radeon HD 7470M on my Ubutu 16.04.2 LTS because radeon open source module is not capable to support this GPU and consequence the boot is very slow. I have tried serveral way with pci-stub.ids in the grub menu but not work. In general how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Fabio_79
11 Replies
startup(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						startup(7)

NAME
startup - event signalling system startup SYNOPSIS
startup [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The startup event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon after it has completed its own initialisation and is the signal that the rest of the system may be started. Typically this will involve checking and mounting the partitions and drives that form the filesystem, loading drivers for connected devices and starting the X windowing system or other login environment. In the default Upstart configuration, the primary task run on the startup event is the /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf job responsible for gener- ating the System V compatible runlevel(7) event. See that page for a more detailed explanation of this process. Paradoxically there is currently no corresponding Upstart-native event signifying that the system is to be shutdown, only the System V com- patible runlevel 0 and runlevel 6 events provide this functionality. EXAMPLE
A service with no other dependencies run on startup might use: start on startup SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 startup(7)