Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris i have conflict with memory utilization Post 302701433 by maxim42 on Sunday 16th of September 2012 04:20:53 AM
Old 09-16-2012
i have conflict with memory utilization

dear all,

kindly i want to check my server memory utilization i used alot of commands but i want to make sure that it is acurate let me explain

i have a server which has 32GB RAM
Code:
Total Memory = 33423360 kb
Free Memory = 4172568 kb
Utilized Memory = 29250792 kb
 Memory Utilization Percentage = 87.5 %

if Utilized Memory = 29250792 kb how can i make sure which processes eat this amount of memory

I listed the top proceses i found the following
if i sum the amount of memory by each process from the flowing it will not equal the utilized memory 29250792 kb so i want to know which processes eat the amount of memory

i found also the swap device is free and not used my system now in test cycle and the memory reached to 87% i want to make sure that if it in the production it will still has 87% and use the swap space or exceed the amount of memory

i tested another server it has memory utilization like 46% and after rebooting it it was 29% so i want to make sure that how memory work it has some processes sleep in memory after we has a new instruction enterd the memory it will free some of the old processes ?
top processes using memory
Code:
SIZE RSS PROCESS/NLWP
2580M 866M be-engine/1408
478M 428M java/3647
476M 418M java/3647
324M 320M esd/4
123M 107M java/113
131M 103M java/18
24M 22M svc.startd/15
29M 22M msragent/10
21M 18M nscd/31
35M 16M nsrexecd/4
33M 15M nsrmmd/1
33M 15M nsrmmd/1
17M 14M inetd/4
19M 13M fmd/27
13M 12M svc.configd/16

swap device
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 256,1 16 67108848 67108848

whem it will use free swap ?
Code:
free swap = 30375816k
used Swap = 4569504k

how come the amount of memory percentage in these processes that run by these users is equal to 7.4 % and the memory utilization is equal to 87%
Code:
 NPROC USERNAME  SWAP   RSS MEMORY      TIME  CPU                             
     3 user1     2547M  870M   2.7%   5:31:59 0.3%
    63 root      1538M 1476M   4.5%  92:09:30 0.1%
    10 user2    7264K   17M   0.1%   0:00:00 0.0%
     2 user3     1672K   10M   0.0%   0:00:01 0.0%
     8 daemon     11M   17M   0.1%   0:15:05 0.0%

forgive me for my weak english

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-16-2012 at 08:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Memory Utilization

All, The (fre) coloumn of the (vmstat) command, does it report the size of the free list including the swap space or it only report on the RAM (physical memory). BR, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Negm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU/Memory utilization

hi guys I just want to know how to get the cpu/memory utilization of a running script? Well i know that I can use the sar command but it shows the whole system's statistics. Is it possible to get the stats of a single scirpt or a single running service? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Utilization

Hi, Is it possible to obtain physical memory and swap memory available in HP-UX server. I tried using "top" command but i'm not able to grep the memory part exclusively... Thanks.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory utilization in HP unix

Hi, I am creating monitoring scripts in HP unix for that i need CPU utilization and memory utilization in HP unix. for CPU utilization i am using TOP command for Memory utilizaion i am not able to use glance command in scripts. means i am not able to redirect and stop. apart from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
1 Replies

5. AIX

Memory Utilization

Hi friends i have a query. we have two p-series machine(p550 & p570) with HACMP 5.3 and AIX 5.3 hosting SAP. Now i need to now is there a way or a command to check the memory utilization on these machines on daily basis. I have tried vmstat and iostat but still it's not clear. We have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathandrake13
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

memory utilization

command for checking memory utilization in HP -UX (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_spatil
2 Replies

7. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

8. SuSE

Memory utilization issue

I have parallels container running on Suse. From top command, I am not able to see, what is eating up so big amount of memory. top - 07:44:24 up 172 days, 18:52, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00 Tasks: 44 total, 1 running, 43 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.0%us, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies

10. AIX

Need help on memory utilization.

I have run the utility nmon in aix 6.1, and found memory utilization is 99.9% in physical. and pressed h key and then t , in that it is not showing single process which is consuming memory resources. please help me how to find out actual memory utilization. wheather 99% is real memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies
SYSINFO(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYSINFO(2)

NAME
sysinfo - return system information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysinfo.h> int sysinfo(struct sysinfo *info); DESCRIPTION
sysinfo() returns certain statistics on memory and swap usage, as well as the load average. Until Linux 2.3.16, sysinfo() returned information in the following structure: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ char _f[22]; /* Pads structure to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, the sizes of the memory and swap fields are given in bytes. Since Linux 2.3.23 (i386) and Linux 2.3.48 (all architectures) the structure is: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ unsigned long totalhigh; /* Total high memory size */ unsigned long freehigh; /* Available high memory size */ unsigned int mem_unit; /* Memory unit size in bytes */ char _f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)]; /* Padding to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, sizes of the memory and swap fields are given as multiples of mem_unit bytes. RETURN VALUE
On success, sysinfo() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EFAULT info is not a valid address. VERSIONS
sysinfo() first appeared in Linux 0.98.pl6. CONFORMING TO
This function is Linux-specific, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
All of the information provided by this system call is also available via /proc/meminfo and /proc/loadavg. SEE ALSO
proc(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SYSINFO(2)