Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with substitution between two variables Post 302701415 by Deepak Tulsani on Sunday 16th of September 2012 03:04:19 AM
Old 09-16-2012
Thanx a lot for your response guys.

@pamu: I generally don't use short methods of writing code because of nature of my work. Using elaborate code makes it easier to understand for those who replace me. I did try those what you suggested, but the problem seems to be with the variable substitution than anything else.

@RudiC, @244an: See below:

HOSTN="`grep "system hostname" $FILE1 | awk '{print $3}'`"
VAR="$HOSTN"
echo "Values outside the loop are: $HOSTN, $VAR"

if [[ -z "$HOSTN" ]]
then
:
else
FILE1="$HOSTN"
echo "$FILE1 , $HOSTN "
fi
HOST="`grep "system hostname" $FILE2 | awk '{print $3}'`"
echo $HOST
if [ -n "$HOST" ]
then
FILE2=$(grep "system hostname" $FILE2 | awk '{print $3}')
echo "$FILE2 , $HOST "
fi

deepak@ubuntu:~/Desktop/VF-NL$ grep ^M sample.cfg | more
deepak@ubuntu:~/Desktop/VF-NL$
deepak@ubuntu:~/Desktop/VF-NL$ grep ^M sample1.cfg | more

I can't find any DOS characters in the file. Infact when I saved these files, I saved them in UNIX format intentionally because I know what mess the DOS characters an make. Also the "HOSTN" doesn't work either. I had tried it several times in my earlier attempts, but that didn't work (like now). But I think you guys are right. It has to do with something in the line that is filtered out. Also the fact that the string that I am trying to filter out is at the end of the line. Since the character is at the end of line, something else is getting tagged along with the string. I'll try with some other files and see if that works. If there are any more ideas, please share.

---------- Post updated at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:31 PM ----------

Quick Follow up:

I created two dummy files with strings that appear in my original files, and it seems to work!

deepak@ubuntu:~/Desktop/VF-NL$ ./test.sh
Enter first filename:
a.txt
Enter second filename:
b.txt
Values outside the loop are: XYZ, XYZ
XYZ , XYZ
ABC
ABC , ABC
Output follows...
XYZ, ABC, XYZ, ABC, XYZ_ABC

I'll see what's wrong with the original file and update. Thanx again guys!

Regards,
Deepak

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution problems

Hi falks, I need to substitute in my ksh program, parameter (full path of directory) ,which is sent from outside program, with another parameter (another full path of directory) ,which is known and validated inside my program. I tried to use "sed" ,but i failed. For example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command substitution problems with csh using grep

I am trying to set a command into a variable in a csh script using command substituion with ``. I am having a problem with ps command combined with grep. The command is as follows (shows processes running with the word gpts in them). /usr/ucb/ps axwww | grep gpts this works fine at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: voodoo31
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Substitution variables in ksh

Hi I have a variable whose value is like this i=/test/test1/test2/myfile.cd.070505123457 i would like to have the value of myfile.cd stored into another variable my attempt is test=${i##*/} ;echo $test ##and i get myfile.cd.070505123457 since what i wnat is myfile.cd i try this... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell variables and sed substitution

My specific goal: automatically edit a Makefile variable's (EXTRAVERSION) value in a kernel Makefile. So, I have a shell script that takes one parameter, a version string: buildkernel.sh 2.6.18.21.7-custom In the script, I assign the parameter to K_VER: K_VER="2.6.18.21.7-custom"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variables problems

hi, i need some help, the situation is this 1-file of variable enviroments DIR1=/tmp DIR2=otherdir/mydir 2-file of list of files (all the names references whic variables of first point) ${DIR1}/${DIR2}/onefile Well now i create a shell script whic... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipcmc
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Shell variables substitution in a file

Hi, I have to read a file and translate the contents including substituting the variables if any and write to another file without using sed or awk. For ex:- inputfile.txt ----------- servername=$SERVER application=$APPL outputfile.txt ------------ servername=actual server name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution and shell variables

Hello!! Am trying to substitute the value of a shell variable with the value of another shell variable. The values are obtained into the shell variables through some other processing. for ex. i've used the follow sed command.. sed "s/$var1/$var2/g" i've also tried the other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_ba
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with variables syntax

Hi there I am really struggling :eek: to place a value in a variable with the following loop, having run out of ideas please can someone point me in the right direction? We first read two PIDs of a program (say calc) into an array, then we loop reading the details of those processes into a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan.harris
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script having variable substitution problems

Hi I am setting the variables like this : setenv MODULE1 modem5__3 setenv MODULE2 modem5__2 setenv MODULE3 modem_ctrl_1_1 setenv MODULE4 modem_1_0 setenv COUNT 10 I am having a bash script as shown below ################################################ #!/bin/bash for ((... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)