Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script in bash wchich creating a new users... Post 302701337 by Corona688 on Saturday 15th of September 2012 04:07:00 PM
Old 09-15-2012
You don't really need a script for this. Put the things you want to be created when a user is created in /etc/skel/, and new users will get it. In this case, I guess you'd want a public_html directory with a .htaccess file containing Options Indexes

Read man useradd for details.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash/awk scripting help (creating OLD new users)

I need some help making this script... I guess I'm having trouble even interpretating what to even get started on... I need to create a script that will search a given directory (typically a user's home directory, but not necessarily) as provided on the command line and any sub-directors for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jukai
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - creating users

echo -e "Enter in a username : \c" read username grep "^$username:" /etc/passwdWhat I'm trying to do is take in a username from my script and I need to be able to check if that username already exists. If it does the script should display a message saying that the user already exists and exit. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadowcat
2 Replies

4. BSD

Creating an array out of users: shell script

I want to create a shell script for a menu selection consisting of users defined on the machine. To an administrator having the privileges, the selection menu will look as follows: Select the user you want to define the variables for: 1) my-username-1 2) my-username-2 etc Then there would be a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for creating users

Hi, I wants to create the users for multiple machine from single main server using the shell script ,can you please help me on this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulne25
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script on creating and comparing users

Hello Everybody i am a newbie to the bash scripting.please can someone help me out here.i want to write a script on creating 10 users with passwords and comparing the users to the ones in /etc/passwd file.am i gonna use arrays in creating the 10 users or what?and again, how do i compare both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruno_brunt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating new users using a text file as imput (using only shell script and/or awk)

I need somebody who could help with an exercise. You have a text file called users.txt with this info inside: users.txt: user1:1234:/home/homedir1 ; user2:1234:/home/homedir2 ; user3:1234:/home/homedir3 ; user4:1234:/home/homedir4 ; The script should create an user using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcosruiz
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Script for Creating more users like 50 in one server

Hi friends could you please share me the script to create more users in one server except newusers, is there any option to change secondary group and how to print passwd and changing the age all these things how can i edit in newsers.. please help me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiankrish
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for creating multiple users with password

for UserName in `cat users` ; do useradd -d /u02 -s /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -G ftp-users $UserName ; PassWord=$( echo $( tr '' '' <<< ${UserName:0:1} )${UserName:1} ) ; echo "$PassWord@123" | passwd $UserName --stdin ; done can some one explain what the bold text do Please use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
5 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating a group of users with script

Hi, I have a file with usernames, and the comment section, e.g : Data removed by request of sanchitadutta91, 20 May 2020 I need to add these users into a server. Is it possible to use a script to create the users, together with the comment ? From the commandline to add one user, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
PAM_MKHOMEDIR(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_MKHOMEDIR(8)

NAME
pam_mkhomedir - PAM module to create users home directory SYNOPSIS
pam_mkhomedir.so [silent] [umask=mode] [skel=skeldir] DESCRIPTION
The pam_mkhomedir PAM module will create a users home directory if it does not exist when the session begins. This allows users to be present in central database (such as NIS, kerberos or LDAP) without using a distributed file system or pre-creating a large number of directories. The skeleton directory (usually /etc/skel/) is used to copy default files and also sets a umask for the creation. The new users home directory will not be removed after logout of the user. OPTIONS
silent Don't print informative messages. umask=mask The user file-creation mask is set to mask. The default value of mask is 0022. skel=/path/to/skel/directory Indicate an alternative skel directory to override the default /etc/skel. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_CRED_INSUFFICIENT Insufficient credentials to access authentication data. PAM_PERM_DENIED Not enough permissions to create the new directory or read the skel directory. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known to the underlying authentication module. PAM_SUCCESS Environment variables were set. FILES
/etc/skel Default skel directory EXAMPLES
A sample /etc/pam.d/login file: auth requisite pam_securetty.so auth sufficient pam_ldap.so auth required pam_unix.so auth required pam_nologin.so account sufficient pam_ldap.so account required pam_unix.so password required pam_unix.so session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022 session required pam_unix.so session optional pam_lastlog.so session optional pam_mail.so standard SEE ALSO
pam.d(5), pam(8). AUTHOR
pam_mkhomedir was written by Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_MKHOMEDIR(8)