Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stripping double quotes from front and end of a line Post 302701145 by vx04 on Friday 14th of September 2012 07:36:22 PM
Old 09-14-2012
We are getting file from another team, so don't have control over the file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Front end on Unix

Hi, I would like to develop a user interface on Solaris. Can anybody throw some light on currently available software utilities/ packages..? Thanks in Advance .. JS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stripping last character from end of each line

Hi, sorry for being dumb but I have a file with a variable amount of records (day to day it differs) but is fixed at 80 characters wide. Unfortunately the 80th and last charachter in each line is a "^M" carriage return character which i want to get rid of. Is there a really easy command that i can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need to concatenate two lines if the line doesnt end with quotes

Hi I am getting a source file where the columns are seperated by comma and double Quotes Eg1 : "AAA","BBB","CCCC" in the same source file i am also getting few lines where my last columns double quotes are ending in its next line or the next next line Eg2: "AAA","BBB","CCC CC"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi131
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of new line character in double quotes

Hi, Could you please help me in removal of newline chracter present in between the double quotes and replacing it with space. For example ... Every field is wrapped with double quotes with comma delimiter, so I need to travese from first double quote occerence to till second double... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding double quotes at the end of string

My input is this: Inputfile = file.txt needs to change to, Inputfile = file.txt" I have tried using: Inputfile = `echo ${Inputfile}"' doesn't work for me. Similarly how do I change it to all double quotes: Inputfile = "file.txt" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bvnprasad123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies
vncconfig(1)						     Virtual Network Computing						      vncconfig(1)

NAME
vncconfig - configure and control a VNC server SYNOPSIS
vncconfig [parameters] vncconfig [parameters] -connect host[:port] vncconfig [parameters] -disconnect vncconfig [parameters] [-set] Xvnc-param=value ... vncconfig [parameters] -list vncconfig [parameters] -get Xvnc-param vncconfig [parameters] -desc Xvnc-param DESCRIPTION
vncconfig is used to configure and control a running instance of Xvnc, or any other X server with the VNC extension. Note that it cannot be used to control VNC servers prior to version 4. When run with no options, it runs as a kind of "helper" application for Xvnc. Its main purpose when run in this mode is to support clip- board transfer to and from the VNC viewer(s). Note that without a running instance of vncconfig there will be no clipboard support. It puts up a window with some checkboxes which can be used to disable clipboard transfers if required (in the future there may be more func- tions available from this window). The -nowin flag can be used if you always want clipboard support but don't wish to clutter the desktop with this window - alternatively the -iconic option can be used to make it iconified by default. When run in any other mode, vncconfig is a one-shot program used to configure or control Xvnc as appropriate. It can be used to tell Xvnc to connect or disconnect from listening viewers, and to set and retrieve Xvnc's parameters. Note that the DISPLAY environment variable or the -display option must be set as appropriate to control Xvnc. If you run it on an ordinary X server (or on a version 3 Xvnc) you will get an error message saying that there is no VNC extension. OPTIONS
-connect host[:port] Tells an Xvnc server to make a "reverse" connection to a listening VNC viewer (normally connections are made the other way round - the viewer connects to the server). host is the host where the listening viewer is running. If it's not listening on the default port of 5500, you can specify host:port instead. -disconnect This causes Xvnc to disconnect from all viewers so that the VNC desktop is not displayed anywhere. [-set] Xvnc-param=value Sets an Xvnc parameter to the given value. Note that some of Xvnc's parameters are read only once at startup so that changing them in this way may not have any effect. -list Lists all the parameters supported by Xvnc. -get Xvnc-param Prints the current value of the given Xvnc parameter. -desc Xvnc-param Prints a short description of the given Xvnc parameter. PARAMETERS
vncconfig also has parameters of its own which can be set on the command line. These should not be confused with Xvnc's parameters which are manipulated with the -set, -get, -list and -desc options. Parameters can be turned on with -param or off with -param=0. Parameters which take a value can be specified as -param value. Other valid forms are param=value -param=value --param=value. Parameter names are case-insensitive. -display Xdisplay Specifies the Xvnc server to control. -nowin When run as a "helper" app, don't put up a window. -iconic When run as a "helper" app, make the window iconified at startup. SEE ALSO
vncpasswd(1), vncviewer(1), vncserver(1), Xvnc(1) http://www.tigervnc.org AUTHOR
Tristan Richardson, RealVNC Ltd. VNC was originally developed by the RealVNC team while at Olivetti Research Ltd / AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. TightVNC additions were implemented by Constantin Kaplinsky. Many other people participated in development, testing and support. TigerVNC 17 Apr 2006 vncconfig(1)