Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Modem connection between two local PCs Post 302701001 by jgt on Friday 14th of September 2012 02:18:59 PM
Old 09-14-2012
The HPC has a serial port (according to the spec sheet) Use a null modem cable and connect to the serial port of the PC. On a 25 pin serial cable, connect 7 to 7 and cross 2 and 3. On a 9 pin connector, cross 2 and 3 and 5 is straight through. Set the baud rate at 38400 first, if there are errors start lowering it.
PC serial port (RS-232 DE9) pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

You would have to find PPP software for the HPC in order to have the pc connect to the internet.
This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem problem: "Sorry, modem is busy"

Hi! I have a little prob with dialing up to the internet... When I try connect, it says "Sorry, modem is busy"... Specs: Laptop 56K modem Slackware 8.0 Kernel 2.4.5 Cheers;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Terminal 'Local Echo' lost on Modem Dial-out

Can anybody help me? I am developing a utility for automating message paging to a BT alphanumeric pager. I am using a USR 56K Fax-modem connected to /dev/cuab on a Sun Ultra-10. I am using the UNIX 'tip' utility to connect to the modem and I have configured the modem as follows: Baud Rate:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Four PCs Sharing ADSL

Hello, everyone. I have a little favor to ask. Me and my friends decided sharing an ADSL line with four PCs. PC no.1: Desktop, two netcard (2000 and 8139), Mandrake 9.0 PC no.2: Acer notebook, PC Card, RTL-8139C/8139C+, MS 98 + Win 2000 Pro PC no.3: Desktop, net card 8139, WindowME + Win 2000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem - Test /dev/modem

Ok. I tried following the directions from some of the other threads, but I've hit a road block. I have red hat 7.3 and I installed the hcf package: hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_3-1rh.i386.rpm It installed ok, no errors, but I still can't get linux to find my modem. I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hyperterminal null modem connection to Solaris

I am new to Unix. I just got my SUN box from ebay with Solaris supposedly preloaded. The problem is I am unable to connect via Hyperterminal to Solaris, or more to the point, cannot tell if I have a successful connection and that solaris is the one not properly booted up. I hooked up a null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seethams
3 Replies

6. AIX

serial modem connection

I configured the serial modem in my P6-550 AIX 5.3 box But i dont have telephone line. when I run the command # cu -l /dev/tty1 the output is as follows does it mean that my modem is responding to the command? can i say my serial port is working and communicating fine? Connected ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 ftp connection problem (connection refused, connection timed out)

Hi everyone, I am hoping anyone of you could help me in this weird problem we have in 1 of our Solaris 10 servers. Lately, we have been having some ftp problems in this server. Though it can ping any server within the network, it seems that it can only ftp to a select few. For most servers, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: labdakos
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Serial connection CAT5 instead of RS232 and Null Modem or Straight cable.

Hello, I want to connect a VT520 terminal to p3 linux box. I have two questions regarding the connection. First, is it possible to use RJ45 instead of RS232 cable. (with DB9 pin to RJ45 and DB25 to RJ45 converter). Second point is that; do i need null modem cable or straight cable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies
FAXLOCK(8C)															       FAXLOCK(8C)

NAME
faxlock - tell a HylaFAX server to switch to LOCKWAIT state SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxlock [ -q dir ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxlock sends a message to a HylaFAX faxgetty(8C) process servicing modem telling it to change its state to LOCKWAIT The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. OPTIONS
-q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/fax. NOTES
When faxgetty changes it's state to LOCKWAIT, it will start looking for the UUCP lockfile for the device, and when the device is no longer locked, proceed to re-initialize the modem. FILES
/var/spool/fax default spooling area /var/spool/fax/FIFO fifo for contacting faxq Consult hylafax-server(5F) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5F), faxq(8C), faxgetty(8C) March 3, 1995 FAXLOCK(8C)