Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: du and dfspace reporting
Operating Systems SCO du and dfspace reporting Post 302700871 by jlliagre on Friday 14th of September 2012 10:42:31 AM
Old 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
"du" includes /proc, which is process memory, whereas df does not.
That would be another serious bug if true. /proc doesn't use disk space so du should report 0 blocks for any file in it.

---------- Post updated at 16:42 ---------- Previous update was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
From my experience of SCO, /stand holds the currently booted kernel files, is indeed a separate filesystem written by the installer. Without /stand the system won't boot. The files in /stand are not significant in size. /stand is mounted at boot time and remains mounted continuously.

For any files to exist under the mount point, /stand would have had to have been deliberately and manually dismounted (can be done) and files put into that directory. Unless done deliberately nothing will exist in that folder.
Having a mount hiding file is a common reason for unaccounted disk space. I was just trying to explain that to the OP, not telling this is the only possible source cause.
Quote:
I'm only saying this because I believe all subscribers to this thread are on the wrong track (pursuing /stand) as to the answer to the OP's question.
Well, jgt just demonstrated the OP issue is not well understood. Suggesting du would add up space not present on disk wouldn't explain the OP issue as it is the opposite which is observed (too less space reported by du, not too much).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. SCO

regarding dfspace

hi, i m having a sco unix system...i want to store the output of dfspace command ie %free space of each partition to different variable so that i can use it for further processing.......can anybody pls help me out thx girish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error reporting script

I am very new to unix/linux and am unsure how to do the following tasks within my script 1) append a log file and add a timestamped echo "Error occured" to it, if posibble to print it to file and on screen at the same time would be even better. 2) As my main script will be calling on a couple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamwick
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Hi. How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such. Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting lines above a particular pattern

Below is a typical report each of the lines represent the fields in the report component1 component2 <pattern> .. .. n lines ... .. VIOL = 2 the command should display component1 component2 VIOL = 2 only if pattern field of the report is "good" component1 and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
8 Replies
vxvmboot(1M)															      vxvmboot(1M)

NAME
vxvmboot - prepare Veritas Volume Manager volume as a root, boot, primary swap or dump volume SYNOPSIS
/sbin/vxvmboot [-b|-d|-r|-s] [-v] -o offset -l length rawpath /sbin/vxvmboot -v rawpath /sbin/vxvmboot -c DESCRIPTION
The vxvmboot command updates information in the LABEL file for the lif disk specified by the pathname of its character (raw) device node, rawpath. The volume at the specified offset and length becomes the boot, root, primary swap or dump volume when the system is next booted. This command is normally invoked by the vxbootsetup utility. OPTIONS
-b Specifies the volume type as a boot volume with name standvol. -c Is used to update the /stand/rootconf file with the offset and length of the rootvol. The usage is slightly different when the -c argument is used. The rawpath argument is not used with this invocation. Instead the path of the boot device is extracted from the /stand/bootconf file. Also, the -o and -l arguments are not used to specify the offset and length. Instead, the offset and length of the rootvol are obtained from the LIF LABEL file on the boot device. The -c option would normally be used in the sbin/ioinitrc script to update the /stand/rootconf file, when the boot disk is VxVM rootable. -d Specifies the volume type as a dump volume with name dumpvol. If a dumpvol volume exists on the specified disk, the extent information from this volume is used. If no such volume exists, the extent information of the swap volume is used instead, and swapvol performs the dual role of swap device and dump device. -l length Specifies the length of the volume in units of 1024-byte blocks. -o offset Specifies the start of the volume as the number of 1024-byte blocks from the beginning of the disk. -r Specifies the volume type as a root volume with name rootvol. -s Specifies the volume type as a swap volume with name swapvol. -v When used with one of the options -b, -d, -r or -s, displays the contents of the updated LABEL file. Otherwise, this option may be used to display the contents of the LABEL file on the specified lif disk. Note: The -b, -c, -d, -r and -s options are mutually exclusive. If more than one of these options is specified, the vxvmboot com- mand exits without performing any operation. ARGUMENTS
rawpath Specifies the pathname of the character (raw) device node for the lif disk. SEE ALSO
lif(4), mkboot(1M), vxbootsetup(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxvmboot(1M)