Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: arithmatic
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting arithmatic Post 302700839 by somersetdan on Friday 14th of September 2012 09:46:10 AM
Old 09-14-2012
MySQL

I am using a bash shell. This is the error message i keep getting:

ex2: line 23: /: syntax error: operand expected (error token is "/")

any ideas?

---------- Post updated at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:42 PM ----------

Thank you that makes perfect sense.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH arithmatic Integer overflow

Guys, I have two big numbers to multiply. In doing do I am getting integer overflow. I managed to multiply number but this number is useless as KSh does not recognise it as a valid number. Here is what I am doing $ expr 999999999999 \* 100 276447132 I got the right value by doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmatic with awk

hi, i am trying some awk arthmatic calculation,i have a problem if any one can help let say if i have a file exm.txt 3 + 2 3 * 2 3 / 2 3 - 2 the output expected is awk -f exm.awk exm.txt 3 + 2 = 5 3 * 2 = 6 3 / 2 = 1.5 3 - 2 = 1 i simply used exm.awk { print $1 " + " $3 "= " $1 +... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phone_book
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying a arithmatic on a command line vs scripting.

Hi Everyone! I'm trying to do simple math on a single command line instead of a script which I've already set up using let etc. I can not get the same output to display on a command line. Essentially I would like a=20, b=50, and c=a*b. When I tried: let "A=20, B=50"; let C=A*B; echo $C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: round output or delimit output of arithmatic string

I have a file with the following content. > cat /tmp/internetusage.txt 6709.296322 30000 2/7/2010 0.00I am using the following awk command to calculate a percentage from field 1 and 2 from the file. awk '{ print $1/$2*100 }' /tmp/internetusage.txt This outputs the value "22.3643" as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). User Commands 06/24/2011 CHSH(1)