Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders Post 302700667 by agama on Thursday 13th of September 2012 11:41:18 PM
Old 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by princetd001
Code:

in your code , you have not specified output file as CSV,
are you looping through all files inside all folders in a year?
which code is used for extracting id from file id?
You can set the output file name however you want. Replace output-file with CSV, or what ever you want the output filename to be. The find command will list all files under all directories that are of the form 2000 - 2099, so yes, in a way we are looping through all files, but letting find do the work rather than the script.

The code that extracts the ID from the name is:
Code:
id=${name%_*}    # delete from last underbar to the end, and assign to variable id
id=${id##*_}    # delete from front of the string to the last underbar and reassign to id
id=${id:2}   # extract the number (portion of string starting at character 2)

The leading zeros are removed as the variable is expanded in the echo:

Code:
${id/~(+E)^[0]+/}

Quote:

how you specify the coulmn names in out put file?
You made no mention of column names, only that the ID was to be first and the filename was to be second. The code prints ID followed by filename. Per your example there is no comma; I was a bit confused with your initial post as you indicated that the file was comma separated values (csv) yet you didn't indicate that the columns should be separated that way.

Quote:

do you know write same logic in simple Shell, Shell Scripts?
The code I posted is a simple shell script.

Quote:

if i use this loop, will it loop through all folders?

FILES=`ls -1`
for FILE in $FILES
do
Yes, but it's bad form if you ask me. Something like this would be better:

Code:
ls | while read file
do
   echo $file
done

Quote:
I ran your script, it says error message

[FONT=r_ansi][SIZE=2][FONT=r_ansi][SIZE=2][/work/users/po/prince]$ ./testSBI.sh
./testSBI.sh[8]: id=${id:2}: bad substitution
Were you using ksh (Korn Shell)? Bash cannot handle the last substitution which eliminates the leading zeros from the ID. If you cannot use ksh, then you'll need to change the echo and delete the zeros with sed or some other mechanism.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start looping from the second line in .csv file

I have a .csv file and i use the below while loop to navigate through it But i need to loop from the second line since the first line is the header How will i do it?? please help while IFS=, read Filename Path size readonly do echo "Filename -> ${Filename}" echo "Path -> ${Path}" echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data fetched from text file and save in a csv file

Hi i have wriiten a script which fetches the data from text file, and saves in the output in a text file itself, but i want that the output should save in different columns. I have the output like: For Channel:response_time__24.txt 1547 data points 0.339 0.299 0.448 0.581 7.380 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitkalia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

select data from oracle table and save the output as csv file

Hi I need to execute a select statement in a solaris environment with oracle database. The select statement returns number of rows of data. I need the data to be inserted into a CSV file with proper format. For that we normally use "You have to select all your columns as one big string,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CSV file:Find duplicates, save original and duplicate records in a new file

Hi Unix gurus, Maybe it is too much to ask for but please take a moment and help me out. A very humble request to you gurus. I'm new to Unix and I have started learning Unix. I have this project which is way to advanced for me. File format: CSV file File has four columns with no header... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindosu
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to save the space when converting to CSV file

Hi, I have a text file with the following format. Some of the fields are blank. 1234 3456 23 45464 327837283232 343434 5654353 34 34343 3434345 434242 .... .... .... I need to convert this file to a CSV file, like 1234, ,23, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wintersnow2011
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV file data extraction

Hi I am writing a shell script to parse a CSV file , in which i am facing a problem to separate the columns . Could some one help me with it. IN301330/00001 pvavan kumar limited xyz@ttccpp.com IN302148/00002 PRECIOUS SECURITIES (P) LTD viash@yahoo.co.in IN300239/00000 CENTRE india... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanduri
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output of updated csv file as csv file itself

Hi, all I want to sort a csv file based on timestamp from oldest to newest and save the output as csv file itself. Here is an example of my csv file. test.csv SourceFile,DateTimeOriginal /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0739.JPG,2015:02:17 11:32:21 /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0749.JPG,2015:02:17 11:37:28... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output of updated csv file as csv file itself, part 2

Hi, I have another problem. I want to sort another csv file by the first field. result.csv SourceFile,Airspeed,GPSLatitude,GPSLongitude,Temperature,Pressure,Altitude,Roll,Pitch,Yaw /home/intannf/foto5/2015_0313_090651_219.JPG,0.,-7.77223,110.37310,30.75,996.46,148.75,180.94,182.00,63.92 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Data extraction and converting into .csv file.

Hi All, I have a data file and need to extract and convert it into csv format: 1) Read and extract the line containing string ending with "----" (file sample_linebyline.txt file) and to make a .csv file from this. 2) To read the flat file flatfile_sample.txt which consists of similar data (... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
9 Replies