Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ESC[70G[ and ^M characters in text file Post 302700579 by methyl on Thursday 13th of September 2012 05:00:13 PM
Old 09-13-2012
Further to @vbe, please always post what Operating System and version you are running, what database engine and version you are running, and what commands you (or the script) typed to produce the output presented.
This is an awkward one because the output presented is formatted for your terminal and is unsuitable for use as an email attachment.
One approach is to try to convert the output format. A better approach is to write code to output the results in a more useful format.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text from a file between two characters..

I have a requirement where i have to read from a .sh file a text lying bet characters like 'SELECT' & ';'...Please help me out in this. I am new to shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting characters from text file

I have a text file that looks like this: I want to delete the last character of first column in all rows so that my output looks like this: Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting 2 characters with into 2 categories from a text file

I have a tab delimited file of the following format 2 L a 2 G b 2 L c 2 G a 3 G a 3 G b 3 L c 4 L a 4 G a 4 G b 4 L c 4 G a .. ... I want to count the number of G's and L's with in the first column and the third column/categories such that I would get an output file: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if the text file has more than 2 characters

Guys, I know that the below command will cut the 13th field from test.txt file awk -F"|" '{print $13}' test.txt The answer would be, CA CN Ohio If we see the 3 rd one, it has more than 2 characters. So i wanted to check this in if condition and i want to get the output if the 13th... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

^H characters appear when opening text file using vi - RHEL

Version Info: $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) $ $ uname -a Linux stryker138 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 05:45:09 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I redirected manpage of ksh command's output to a text file as shown... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to enter special characters in a text file using vi?

Hi, I need to create a test text file with the special characters \342\200\223 in it and to be able to use sed maybe to delete them I tried doing it using vi by pressing CTRL-V and then typing 342 but it does not work. After pressing CTRL-V and typing 342 it seems to just insert the numbers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File name starts with esc character.

How can I refer to a file named esc[G ? I need to delete it or move it. TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
5 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)