Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to know endianness of a machine Post 302700459 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of September 2012 11:52:50 AM
Old 09-13-2012
You are on an x86 machine, which is little-endian by definition.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Best possible communication mechanism between a Solaris machine and a windows machine

hi, I have some windows client machines which require a signal to be sent by a Solaris machine( SunOS 5.6) when ever a particular event occurs on that Solaris machine. What are possible communication mechanisms by which i can do this. the constraints are > the windows machines have to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krsh
7 Replies

2. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 5.8 - BinaryFile - Endianness

Dear Users, How do I account for endian-ness while reading a Binary File generated from Solaris 5.8 (Sparc) on a Windows XP (x86) system. I just know that its a Binary File. I have no knowledge about the native datatype of the Binary File. (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

7. Linux

Unable to connect to Server machine from a client machine using ftp service

Hi, Could you please help me with the below issue.. I'm running RHEL6 OS on both server (192.168.0.10) and client machines (192.168.0.1). I'm trying to connect to server from the client machine using ftp service. I have installed vsftpd daemon on both the machines. I'm getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

iptables applied in local machine, can't ssh remote machine after chain changed to DROP

I want to SSH to 192.168.1.15 Server from my machine, my ip was 192.168.1.99 Source Destination was UP, with IP 192.168.1.15. This is LAN Network there are 30 Machine's Connected to the network and working fine, I'm Playing around the local machine's because I need to apply the same rules in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with fetching the data from remote machine from my jumpbox(local machine)

Team, Presently i am running a script from my local box(i.e jumpbox) to all the remote machines.Basically fetching basic queries like pwd,mkdir,touch etc and i am able to successfully fetch it from my local machine.But when i want to check certain database related queries like the dbstat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
20 Replies

10. AIX

IBM TDS/SDS (LDAP) - can I mix endianness among servers in an instance ?

I'd like to add some x/linux-based servers to my current AIX-based TDS/SDS server community. Reading the Fine Install Guide (rtfig ?) I believe this may be covered by the section "Upgrade an instance of a previous version to a different computer" i.e. I'm going to install latest/greatest SDS on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
4 Replies
ENDIAN(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ENDIAN(3)

NAME
htobe16, htole16, be16toh, le16toh, htobe32, htole32, be32toh, le32toh, htobe64, htole64, be64toh, le64toh - convert values between host and big-/little-endian byte order SYNOPSIS
#define _BSD_SOURCE #include <endian.h> uint16_t htobe16(uint16_t host_16bits); uint16_t htole16(uint16_t host_16bits); uint16_t be16toh(uint16_t big_endian_16bits); uint16_t le16toh(uint16_t little_endian_16bits); uint32_t htobe32(uint32_t host_32bits); uint32_t htole32(uint32_t host_32bits); uint32_t be32toh(uint32_t big_endian_32bits); uint32_t le32toh(uint32_t little_endian_32bits); uint64_t htobe64(uint64_t host_64bits); uint64_t htole64(uint64_t host_64bits); uint64_t be64toh(uint64_t big_endian_64bits); uint64_t le64toh(uint64_t little_endian_64bits); DESCRIPTION
These functions convert the byte encoding of integer values from the byte order that the current CPU (the "host") uses, to and from little- endian and big-endian byte order. The number, nn, in the name of each function indicates the size of integer handled by the function, either 16, 32, or 64 bits. The functions with names of the form "htobenn" convert from host byte order to big-endian order. The functions with names of the form "htolenn" convert from host byte order to little-endian order. The functions with names of the form "benntoh" convert from big-endian order to host byte order. The functions with names of the form "lenntoh" convert from little-endian order to host byte order. VERSIONS
These function were added to glibc in version 2.9. CONFORMING TO
These functions are nonstandard. Similar functions are present on the BSDs, where the required header file is <sys/endian.h> instead of <endian.h>. Unfortunately, NetBSD, FreeBSD, and glibc haven't followed the original OpenBSD naming convention for these functions, whereby the nn component always appears at the end of the function name (thus, for example, in NetBSD, FreeBSD, and glibc, the equivalent of OpenB- SDs "betoh32" is "be32toh"). NOTES
These functions are similar to the older byteorder(3) family of functions. For example, be32toh() is identical to ntohl(). The advantage of the byteorder(3) functions is that they are standard functions available on all Unix systems. On the other hand, the fact that they were designed for use in the context of TCP/IP means that they lack the 64-bit and little-endian variants described in this page. EXAMPLE
The program below display the results of converting an integer from host byte order to both little-endian and big-endian byte order. Since host byte order is either little-endian or big-endian, only one of these conversions will have an effect. When we run this program on a little-endian system such as x86-32, we see the following: $ ./a.out x.u32 = 0x44332211 htole32(x.u32) = 0x44332211 htobe32(x.u32) = 0x11223344 Program source #include <endian.h> #include <stdint.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { union { uint32_t u32; uint8_t arr[4]; } x; x.arr[0] = 0x11; /* Lowest-address byte */ x.arr[1] = 0x22; x.arr[2] = 0x33; x.arr[3] = 0x44; /* Highest-address byte */ printf("x.u32 = 0x%x ", x.u32); printf("htole32(x.u32) = 0x%x ", htole32(x.u32)); printf("htobe32(x.u32) = 0x%x ", htobe32(x.u32)); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
byteorder(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2009-01-19 ENDIAN(3)