Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sftp jail chroot env setup
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat sftp jail chroot env setup Post 302699815 by venikathir on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 11:02:06 AM
Old 09-12-2012
configure the sshd_config for sftp jail root

Reffer sshd_config documents
How to Setup Chroot SFTP in Linux (Allow Only SFTP, not SSH) (link removed)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start a chroot jail?

I was reading an article on how it is very important to setup a chroot jail to run bind. I can follow what the article says but one thing I am unclear about is now on system boot the BIND process in the chroot jail will start since it the owner will no longer be root but some other user. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env setup script givin wierd results

I have a script that setsup the environmental variables and then goes on to ftp a file . The scripts which does is as follows The script runs fine when i run it in my home dir and goes on to ftp the file.. But when the same file is run as a batch job in Control-M(a job scheduling software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hareeshkumaru
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Password Aging with Openssh 5.2 SFTP Subsystem Jail

All, I enabled PAM and aged a password, but when I login it asks me for the current password then says password unchanged after entering the current password. Is this a bug? My security dept is going to want me to enable password aging and I'm stuck! Any help on what the issu is? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP Jail With Sun SSH Not OpenSSH

Hi all, I have a Solaris 10 server with SUN_SSH_1.1 installed. I want to restrict a user via SFTP to only be able to access one directory. I've written a little script in .profile which works perfectly for an ssh login but it appears sftp doesn't read the .profile file so it doesn't work. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
2 Replies

5. Debian

SSH chroot jail problems

Firstly Hi everyone :) I setup SFTP and SSH jail using this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooted-ssh-sftp-tutorial-debian-lenny SFTP jail works however now when I try to SSH it accepts my password and then just goes to a blank screen. Type any command and the shell session is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokey144
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Chroot jail environment puzzle

I have a simple sandbox program which runs a command as user "nobody" in a chroot jail. It sets resource limits with setrlimit, changes the user id with setuid, changes the root dir with chroot, and then calls exec to execute the command given as command line parameters. It is of course a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: john.english
8 Replies

7. Solaris

SSH & SFTP Chroot

Hello all, does anybody knows a procedure to enable an chroot for users using ssh and sftp ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: celord
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

chroot sftp, samba share, ownership issue linux hosts

Hello, I have sftp server with chroot for a group and username is on a Linux host, I have created a few subdirectories under sftpuser home directories with 775. Then using a Samba I shared this user home directory to another linux client. On the Linux client, I have jboss user to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Chroot sftp users, remote sftp login shows wrong timestamp on files

Hello, I have a weird issue, I have RHEL 5.7 running with openssh5.2 where sftpgroup OS group is chroot. I see the difference difference in timestamp on files, when I login via ssh and SFTP, I see four hour difference, is something missing in my configuration. #pwd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

10. AIX

sftp chroot + winbind + ad

I have next configuration : - AIX 5.3 (5300-11-03-1013) - pWare.SAMBA 3.5.8.1 - OpenSSH 5.2.0 - OpenSSL 0.9.8 Now, to be more clearly I'll explain what I need indeed. My task is set up integration AIX server to Active Directory 2008 with Samba (Winbind) for chrooted SSH connections. It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
3 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-d start_directory] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask] DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -d start_directory specifies an alternate starting directory for users. The pathname may contain the following tokens that are expanded at runtime: %% is replaced by a literal '%', %h is replaced by the home directory of the user being authenticated, and %u is replaced by the user- name of that user. The default is to use the user's home directory. This option is useful in conjunction with the sshd_config(5) ChrootDirectory option. -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. For logging to work, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log. Use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-00.txt, January 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
January 4, 2013 BSD