Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create new file when three asterisks are encountered. Post 302699731 by shoaibjameel123 on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 08:25:13 AM
Old 09-12-2012
Create new file when three asterisks are encountered.

Hi All,

I have a text file which is currently formatted like this:

Code:
TEXT1

TEXT2

TEXT3

I want text before *** to go into separate files. For example,
1.dat
Code:
TEXT1

2.dat
Code:
TEXT2

3.dat
Code:
TEXT3

This is what I am doing but my code does not separate texts, rather it again places the entire text from the original file in another file 1.dat

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{RS="";FS="***"} {c++;f=c".dat"; printf("%s\n",$0) >> f}' file.txt

I also tried this but does not work as desired:

Code:
awk '/***/{close(c++".dat")}{print > c".dat"}' file.txt

I am using Linux with bash.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

554 Unallowed chars encountered

My Exchange v5.5 IMS server received an inbound internet-based message that it could not processed. The message header appeared to be corrupt and had a line that read, "Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Unallowed chars encountered." The message header also mentions UTF-7. All internet-based messages are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abibbens
1 Replies

2. UNIX Benchmarks

Encountered error!

I used this on an AIX machine and encountered the following error. $ ls -l total 600 -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 1491 Feb 07 1992 MANIFEST -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 8148 Apr 05 1992 Makefile -rwxrwxrwx 1 e26936 dba 4852 Sep 06 2003 README -rwxrwxrwx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: puspendu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double asterisks

When I go$ echo *I get a directory listing. When I go$ echo * *I get a directory listing, followed by a second identical directory listing. When I go$ echo **I only get one directory listing. What happens to the second asterisk in this case? Why doesn't it expand? I haven't been able to sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: na5m
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistence With Using Asterisks in GREP Expressions

I am attempting to find all complete words which contain an asterisk at the beginning and the end - for instance, "*Hello?*" or "*you*". From what I've read, I would have thought that the following expression would do that just fine: \<\*.*\*\> \< denoting the beginning of a word. \*... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MagusScythe
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to replace asterisks

I need to replace occurrences of twelve asterisks "************" with the string " 0000000.00" . Note that there are two spaces in front of the first zero. How can I do this using awk or sed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustang_9333
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

build a string of asterisks elegantly

hi in a script i hate string definitions like str="***********************************" who can help to build a 50 character long string of asterisks more elegantly? any hint is welcome thanks and regards lazy (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminate or ignore asterisks in data when parsing

I have data file that has this in it: data.txt ......... ......... PPJ97**2017PPJ97**2017-03-21-13.35.15.887208********************START ERROR LOGGING****************** PPJ97**2017-03-21-13.35.15.887208** PROMPT APPLICATION ERROR ** PPJ97**2017-03-21-13.35.15.887208** IN TIMESTAMP |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Show Asterisks when changing Password

Note: **Showing Asterisks when using SUDO is not what I am looking for. That method is well documented** Short Description: We have a requirement where users want to see that they are typing a password when logging into a RedHat box or when they are changing their password -- instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caperjm
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple asterisks in vi

i need to replace all occurrences of "period asterisk" as it is shown in this: blah blah .*:.*:.* blah blah with: :: so that the end result looks like this: blah blah :: blah blah I tried different variations of the following but it didint work: %s_ .*:.*:.* _ :: _g (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies