Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating executable script--please help Post 302699615 by smitra on Wednesday 12th of September 2012 07:58:01 AM
Old 09-12-2012
Creating executable script--please help

Hi group,
I am very beginner in shell scripting and self learning.
I am trying to create and executable script to run awk from user defined variables.

e.g. suppose from a given file I want to delete some rows or some columns
We need to repeat this process for many files. Thus I was trying to write a script. Any help will be really great.
This is my progress so far:

Code:
# A script to modify delete particular row and column from tab delim files
osch=0
echo "1. Delete row from file"
echo "2. Delete columns from file"
echo "Select your choice [1 or 2]?"
read osch
if [$osch -eq 1]; 
then
        echo "Enter row numbers with space"
        read x
        echo 'You entered this line: ' $x
        set -A rarray $x
        do 
                awk 'NR!={rarray[@]}' INPUT > INPUT_modified
        done
        echo "Modified file is created"
fi

if [$osch -eq 2]; 
then
        echo "Enter column numbers with space"
	read y
        echo 'You entered this line: ' $y
	set -A rarray $y
        for i in
        do 
	     awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if(i!={rarray[@]})printf '%s', $i OFS;print""}' INPUT > INPUT_modified
        done
        echo "Modified file is created"
fi

As a beginner this is just a try. PLEASE HELP
Thanks a lot in advance Smilie

---------- Post updated at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:09 AM ----------

Any body in the group...please help. I am really stuck in here Smilie.

Last edited by smitra; 09-12-2012 at 09:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

problem in creating executable for a client program

Hi, I am trying to run simple client server c program in unix.At the compling stage server is creating an executable but the client is not. below is the link to the source codes: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/courses/sysprog/sockets/server.c http://www.cs.rpi.edu/courses/sysprog/sockets/client.c ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konas
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating executable for every C file

hello Folks, once we compile any C code on Linux, we run the code using "./a.out".. but can we have an executable for every program so that we can run the code directly without compiling the code every time. just run the executable and get the output! Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
7 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

What's The Easiest Route To Creating A Unix Executable File for Terminal?

I've seen the executable open in the application OmniOutliner, can I create an executable with this app? I'd like to be able to create the unix executable and insert it into terminal, but I'm not sure if the Omni app will allow me to create it. Any one have any ideas or possibly familiar with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help making a script executable

making a script in vi to create a shell script called wherearethey by entering the following script: echo -n "Who are you looking for: "read userif then list=`w | grep $user | cut -c19-30` if then echo "The user $user is logged in from $list" else echo "The user $user is not logged in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtner
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script executable only for one person at same time

Hi My question: Is there a way to lock a script if its already running for other users? Like if i want to start a script, that is running by another user, there will be a message: Hey, you cant start the script because its running by another user, try it later. my idea was that the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkSwiss
10 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

creating an executable file from shell scripts

Hi Friends, I have a shell script which does some operations etc, would it be possible to create an executable file out from this shell script? meaning the executable file is not editable, thus the source code will not be visible to other users for copyright reasons. Please help, thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to produce a executable Oracle script from bash script?

Hi here's my code ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus /nolog <<!EOF --step 5 create db script start set feedback off set heading off set echo off conn / as sysdba spool ${ORACLE_SID}_db_link.sql SELECT 'CREATE '||DECODE(U.NAME,'PUBLIC','public ')||'DATABASE LINK '||CHR(10)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
2 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Creating An Executable On The Fly...

Hi all... Had an idea tonight which could really enhance shell scripting for me. Yes I am aware there could be difficulties but...... Creating a C script inside the shell script to do a task, (a simple text print to stdout in this example), compiling it on the fly, making sure it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making any script executable

Hi all, I'm new to Unix so just wanted some help. I've been self learning and came accross a question online that I was trying. It is to make any shell script executable, the name of the file is to be made executable. I would use nano and type in something like #! /bin/bash Chmod +x... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelenaR
4 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)